Where to get repaired? White screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Wilam, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Wilam macrumors newbie

A lurker that finally had a question. Most of the time I can just search and find what I need on here but I am stumped this time.

Received a 3Gs from a friend that got phone from work and didn't need the iphone.

Problem-
    He used to get a white screen every now and then. He would have to force shut down with 2 button hard stop. Phone would work just fine.

He sent the phone to me and all I can get is a whiteish screen. I hooked it up to my pc to charge and my pc did find the iphone. I did a restore and brought the software up to date but all the phone displays is the white screen.

I'm thinking it is a hardware problem as the phone talks just fine to my computer, just can't do much with a white screen on the phone.

Does anyone know where I might be able to send the phone to see if it is worth a repair? We have ATT store here and a Mac store would one of them be worth trying? I'm kind of at a loss deciding if it is worth putting any money into. I would do the $49 upgrade but I only have one coming to me and that will be used for another phone my daughter has.

Thanks!!!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

3. Wilam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks James! From my description above would you guess at a hardware issue too?
    Bill

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Personally, I think it is LCD issue, just buy new LCD for around USD25, watch tutorial on YouTube on how to replace it and do it yourself. It is a very simple task to replace LCD on 3G/GS iPhone.

5. Wilam thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think so? The LCD appears to be in excellent condition, no scrapes or cracks. I did watch a vid a while back on how to replace battery and from what I remember it wouldn't be all that hard to replace screen.

With above links I did some more checking and it looks like "AppleNberry" repair center in California will repair screen for around $90. More, but I would hope they, or another, would only fix what needs fixing.

I guess I am getting to the age where I have replaced parts that didn't need replacing here and there and would rather just do it right the first time. That doesn't mean I don't mind saving a buck doing something myself. I just hate replacing a working part with another working part and ending up paying for a part that didn't need replacing.

Thanks much!

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

7. Wilam thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the site, James, bookmarked!

Well, my impatience got the better of me. We have a Apple type store, CityMac, and I wondered in there. 30 minutes later minus $99 the phone has a new video board/screen and it is working like new.

Thanks much for all the help posted.
    Regards, Bill

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Glad you got it repaired!