Where to get the cheapest iPhone 4 rear glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

A buddy dropped and broke his, I thought I'd take this opportunity to find out myself and help him out.

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I've ordered one from ebay UK for £9, although it is white. I've not received it yet and while it states "white glass rear housing" I'm certain it'll be plastic all over - but that's preferable for me anyway. I'd give ebay a shot perhaps, just make sure its the actual rear housing and that you have a microscrew (philips size 00 I believe) - some even provide one for you.

3. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

4. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I just looked on the Apple site for rear glass and didn't see it?

5. THE dAY macrumors 6502

6. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Make a genius bar appointment. It's $29 including installation.

7. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

Now if you go in and have it replaced at the Genius Bar will/can they void your warranty from there on out? I know he was planning on getting the phone replaced under warranty because he's had some very bad reception problems that makes the phone quite unusable a lot of the times. He was going to replace the back glass and then get it replaced under warranty and made an appointment before he dropped it but now it's different.

8. EricLehman macrumors newbie

The iPhone 4 does indeed have gorilla glass.The cheapest price for the exact replacement parts that I've found is $250 for both front and rear view mirror camera glass.

9. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

10. THE dAY macrumors 6502

According to Apple's iPhone 4 video, Johny Ives mentions around ~5:32 into the video "...this glass is not only used on the front of the phone but also on the back."

I'm just stating what Apple has said, I personally haven't tested it.

11. ItsJustafnPhone, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

yeah i thought so too, maybe its missing oleophobic coating, the fact that its painted black, but when i was scratching it, it scratched easier

I reviewed the video and they did say the glass is for the front and back, but in the video they only show the front glass being tested, and in the production line, they never show the rear glass :p

I did pretty unbiased testing so those were my findings, I just reported what I found

Searched the internet this is what I found

even before the iphone 4 was apple insider, and Engadget also noted that the rear scratched easier

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...unit_collects_incredibly_minor_scratches.html

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/yes-you-can-certainly-scratch-the-iphone-4/

Also iFixit said
    So my theory is that apple may be exaggerating their claim about both both panels being gorilla glass, I still stand by my findings that the front glass is different than the rear (based on my testing)

12. THE dAY macrumors 6502

You might have a point, Apple does make erroneous claims like mentioning in the same video that "...we also developed a custom glass" and "we developed an entirely new grade of stainless steel".

I personally don't believe that they developed any of these but more that they licensed it from gorilla glass and whomever.

Just like Apple's rechargeable AA batteries are rebranded Sanyo eneloops.

But to get back to the topic of the thread, I do hope the OP can post back if he was able to get the back glass replaced for $29 and whether or not the phone came back with the same phillips screws or the new 5 sided torx screws.