where to get windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Topher21, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Topher21 macrumors newbie

i recently got a mbp and was looking to install windows via bootcamp for some programs for work. my question is aside for paying almost 200 bucks for a version of windows 7, where has everyone picked up their windows os? thanks

and also im new to the site, so hello to everyone!!!!

2. Surely Guest

Surely

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

For work, the ~$200 should be see as the cost of doing business and is the only way of being fully license compliant.

The cheaper options all end up being non-compliant in one way or another.
    1. OEM/System Builder - The license requires you to resell the system to an unrelated third party
    2. Retail upgrade - Requires an underlying license of XP or Vista that can be transferred to the Mac
    3. Student - License is not valid for commercial use.
    4. ...

All can physically be installed on the Mac, but it doesn't make them legitimate licenses.

B

4. Topher21 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i wasnt planning on stealing anything, just looking for cheap prices is they were out there.

my next question is that i have a old laptop that i dont use anymore and it has xp on that.. is there any options as far as transferring that to my mac?

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Got mine from Amazon for slightly less than retail value, nothing killer.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If it came with the laptop, no.

According to a strict interpretation of the OEM/System Builder license it is bound forever to the laptop.

Check Amazon or NewEgg for slight discounts.

B

7. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

there are no LEGAL downloads of XP. you may find a copy on the net somewhere but microsoft never released a download for XP. given you own a copy on your laptop, you can use that product key to activate XP if you were to find such a download. however, one key per system, meaning you are not suppose to use the laptop and xp on your mac at the same time.

ok, lastly you can contact microsoft and have them send you an XP install disc. this is different from a new copy of XP. this will not include a new key but only the install disc. its likely your laptop didnt come with a windows disc in the first place. microsoft may charge you a fee, they didnt for me, but the fee is less than buying a new copy.

OR you can find someone with a XP disc, install it using your key you have.

oh i have one more for you :D newegg.com has windows 7 home for $84

8. Topher21 thread starter macrumors newbie

gotcha....yea its the copy that came with the laptop. looks like im buying one.

thanks everyone!!!!!