Where to go for screen assembly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HaydAddict, Dec 5, 2015.

1. HaydAddict, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

HaydAddict macrumors newbie

HaydAddict

In a move I shattered the screen. Apple nor Best Buy will sell screens. Given the nature of the pixel density, where have you gone or heard good about as far as replacement screens?

Optimally one with a return policy that way it happens to arrive with damaged pixels.

My Macbook: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Which MBPro do you have? Is it one of the retina models?

3. HaydAddict thread starter macrumors newbie

HaydAddict

Sorry, edited the OP to reflect.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Apple does not replace the LCD panel. They replace the display assembly, which includes the LCD panel, the top cover, along with all the cables, and the hinge assemblies. That assembly is basically a sealed assembly.

Apple's part number for that is 661-8310

You can search for replacements for sale. Some are brand new, others would be used - pulled from other MBPros.
    Here's a possibility from Amazon.
    Not cheap, but you can search around to see what you can find. You're on your own to do the replacement.
    iFixit.com has a repair guide to help you, and they can supply the special tools that you will need.

If you are concerned about getting a good screen, then get it from Apple. They will sell you the assembly, because they install it (and also make sure it is good). If you are not happy with the replacement screen, Apple will replace defective service parts for 90 days after the repair.

5. HaydAddict thread starter macrumors newbie

HaydAddict

I am more than qualified to change the assembly myself, which is why I was asking of reputable sources.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You aren't going to get any kind of a warranty installing the part yourself.

7. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Even though you can replace the display assembly yourself, keep in mind that you will void your warranty by doing so.

8. HaydAddict thread starter macrumors newbie

HaydAddict

I understand and realize this. I am not your average technician, more along the lines of engineer.

I am realizing that this may not be the most taken option here.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I just wanted to point it out because you mentioned something about being able to return the display if it had dead pixels. Most places selling service parts are selling them as-is.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I suggested that you let Apple take care of the repair, because you had some concern about pixel quality on a replacement screen. Apple will handle that situation to your satisfaction, but they replace the part, too. That's also why I suggested a part source that offers a new part, rather than used. New or used could have pixel problems, of course, but you should have warranty (a better warranty anyway) on one purported to be 'new'. I know you would ask about warranty, regardless of where you get your part, right? :D

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Able to and should are two different things, I agree that replacing the screen assembly is about is drool simple and replacing the panel itself isn't particularly hard either. If you let Apple do it though it'll have a warranty and if the screen isn't good then you hand it back to them and they give you a new one.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I would enquire with apple first they have a standard repair cost for some things that will work out about the same as buying one and doing it yourself. Of course if you can get one cheap and do it yourself go for it but I'd check pricing first.