Where to install an Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by musicman59, Jan 13, 2009.

1. musicman59 macrumors newbie

I have an Airport Extreme connected to my internet and my iMac. It is on top of my desk next to my camera dock station, iPod dock station and speakers.

Will it be better to locate it somewhere else?
    Is it better to installit vertically in a wall or hanging from the celling?

Any advice will be apreciated.

2. GregE macrumors 6502

I think install it where it works best for you. I put mine in my family room since it was more centrally located in my house. Mine is standing on an edge because it fit behind my receiver well that way. I plan on connecting an EHD to it and that will be sitting behind my TV. I thought about putting the Airport Extreme there but I wanted to be able to unplug it easily if necessary. I use my MBP mostly in the kitchen which is right off the family room so it's not too far from it but I could go anywhere in the house I think. Down the road, I may put another one upstairs if I think I need it. I ran plenty of CAT5 when I built the house so I could basically put one anywhere I want.

3. rich.smith macrumors member

It is my understanding that the Airport Extreme is designed to work horizontally. The internal antennas are likely optimized to work that way. I would experiment with different locations to reduce the amount of interference.

4. Awwwdudeman macrumors newbie

Celling speakers with air port experss

Hi I'm thinking about putting a celling speaker in my kitchen for my fiancee to listen to when she is cooking. I have an air port express already dose anyone kno of a celling speaker that I can use please if possible one with a 3.5 jack to fit the a.p.e I'm guessing this is the place to ask thanks ppl.