Where to install itunes for best results?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 28, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I ordered my first MAC (brand new MacBook 2.16ghz, 4GB RAM) but it only has 160G Hard Drive. I want to keep the internal hard drive free from music & videos so the CPU can access other apps. or files quickly. So this leads me to ask you Mac Genesis where should I install itunes?

- Should I keep itunes in laptop's HD and move Music, Videos, Artwork, etc. to external drive? - pros & cons?

- Should I remove itunes from laptop's HD and re-install it in external drive along with music, videos, artwork, etc.? - pros & cons?

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

iTunes is already installed on your laptop and you don't really need a reason to move it. You can store any movies, music, etc. on the external drive and all you need to do is just drag and drop it to the main window. Make sure to uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes.." option in the Advanced section of the preferences. Also, you can configure the iTunes music folder location by going to that same section, click change, and then select the folder you want.

The con to this sort of setup is when you go mobile, you won't have any tunes or videos to listen to or watch. :D

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

iTunes is an Application, and as such should always exist in the Applications folder on the same hard drive as the OS (which is how it will default, and it is pre-installed there). The library file can be located anywhere (the file is not just an XML file with information about the music and video, but also a directory structure to store all the data). It is highly doubtful that you would have enough to fill the HD. If at anytime you find you are running out of space, you can always copy the videos elsewhere, and only load them when you want them.

TEG

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

You are thinking like a Windows user. Adding iTnes does not slow anything down. Well OKif you have so much data that the disk is about 90% full it can slow down.

Keep the iTunes applcation where it belongs and if you want you can move the location of the library to an external drive if you need the space. Just move t. Then iTunes will ask you were you've moved it next time you run.

5. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Cons:
    Not being able to access my music on the raod without the External drive is a good point. But I have a 80GB ipod.

If I install itunes (app. and all) on to an external drive, I can access it regardless of which computer I use (PC or Mac), right?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Applications go on the Computer!!!!!!!!

The Library can be shared between different computers (Mac or PC) with little to no difficulty and put anywhere.

TEG

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not unless you use FAT32