Where to look for a specific HDD for platter transplant?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LtCarter47, Sep 11, 2010.

1. LtCarter47 macrumors regular

LtCarter47

I'm trying to help a friend with one of the affected white MacBook HDD failures. They did not have a backup (!). I tried the HDD in the freezer bit but no luck there. Last resort is swapping the platters out with an identical drive, model/firmware etc.

My question is, where do you think would be the best place(s) to post to try to find one of these older drives?

Drive details:
    2.5" 80GB Fujitsu
    Model # MHW2080BH PL
    Part # CA06820-B39200AP
    Rev # 07FD9A-0081001C
    From a white 2GHz Core2Duo MacBook

Thanks!
    -Sean

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

There is absolutely no way you can remove the actual platters from a HD and put them in another drive. These devices are assembled in clean rooms and I can't imagine you having a clean room around or the tools necessary to do it. Your only realistic choice is a recovery service, which is expensive.

3. LtCarter47 thread starter macrumors regular

LtCarter47

Yes, I'm aware of the challenges. Unfortunately data recovery services are simply out of the question due to cost.

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

If the data is really important then it might be better to wait. You run the risk of doing way more harm than good by trying a DIY transplant. like old-wiz said, hard drives are made w/ precision tools in special dust free environments. If your still not convinced, e-bay would be a decent place to start looking

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

You might be able to find an identical drive on e-bay and just swap the electronics. I haven't looked at a HD outside of a computer in years, but IIRC, the electronics are a separate part from the sealed HD platters.