Where to place search box?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JackT06, Jan 2, 2012.

1. JackT06, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

I want to place a search bar on my website. However, i'm not to sure where to place it?

Do you think it would be okay at the bottom of page just above the social network icons? Or should i try and place it at the top somewhere...

I want to try and aviod using the sidebar..

Any other feedback would be taken on board!:)

btw, please be aware the index page is currently being finished so it might not work/have errors etc :D

2. simsaladimbamba

If search is important to you, then I would place it at the top, thus it is easier to be found.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just speaking personally, I would never think to scroll down to find a search box. If I'm hoping to search a site, I always look at the top right first, then top left. I would recommend it be in one of those areas of the page if you want people to find it.

jW

4. chrisvee macrumors regular

Somewhere on the top, for sure. You wouldn't want to be searching for the search bar. I couldn't open your website for some reason, but yeah, it does kind of depend on what kind of site it is.

5. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

It's now been removed from the sub directory so www.hampshiredofeyouthforum.co.uk

6. simsaladimbamba

The search bar is not on the top, though the home page is not that cluttered and one can find it via scrolling down, but I am on a 1920 x 1200 pixel Mac right now, thus users with smaller screens might be less inclined to look for the search box at the bottom.

7. cmm macrumors 6502a

Search should be prominent. Think about the top sites of the web (Google and Wikipedia) and where their search bars are. Use a PHP faceted search module, which should last until you have at least 10,000 nodes, then you'll need to switch to, e.g., Apache Solr or another non-PHP search server.