Where to purchase current model iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by schmoopy.design, Oct 23, 2012.

1. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Like most of you I've been waiting to purchase a new iMac until I saw what was coming down the pipe.

The new iMac has arrived. It looks cool. Aesthetics and engineering at its finest. However I don't care if my desktop computer is thin, and this may seem cavemanlike, but I still use my optical drive.

That said I want to purchase the current model iMac since I'm sure the price will be dropping and it will better meet my needs. Besides the refurb section in the Apple store is there someone else I should be looking that might have updated prices on the current models?

Cheers.

2. ibodybuild macrumors newbie

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

looks like you can't from apple .. probably refurbs or maybe some other retailers might have them

4. xplnusa macrumors regular

X3... I usually buy mine from Best Buy... I'll be watching my local one to see if they do any price drops...

5. tWoSour macrumors member

I'm still deciding what to do, might be in this boat too. I wonder what pricing will be like at Apple Stores

6. schmoopy.design thread starter macrumors regular

7. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

What's the difference?

8. schmoopy.design thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just wondering if there is anywhere besides the refurb section that I should be looking.

9. schmoopy.design thread starter macrumors regular

Any idea if the brick and mortar stores will have updated pricing (i.e., lower) on the current iMacs?

10. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

11. 4JNA, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

illini tech center down on green street has deals on stuff now and then. if you qualify for educational pricing, they can also help with that.

the best buy out on prospect has an apple rep that shows up most weekends, so they should have the new stuff in soon. they may clear the older stuff out at a discount, i don't know. at least there's hope for a sale/coupon due to the holidays, they've done that the last couple years anyway.

simplified computers on neil is also an Apple reseller. don't know if they can get refurb stuff or not, but they also have sale prices listed all the time on new stuff, might be worth a call.

best of luck with the search.

12. schmoopy.design thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the info!

13. houdinize macrumors regular

Just checked today and the base iMac is $1149 in the stores. So you save $150 on the 2011 iMac as we wait for the 2012 model to show up in stores. The same model refurb is $990.

14. schmoopy.design thread starter macrumors regular

Just went right to the source and ordered a 27" 3.1 GHz i5. Picked it up over the weekend, put 32 GBs of RAM in it, transferred everything over, and now I'm running Adobe CS6 blazing fast.

15. nagareru macrumors regular

May I ask what programs from CS6 are you using?

16. schmoopy.design thread starter macrumors regular

Usually running Illustrator and Photoshop at the same time and occasionally InDesign as well. Running much faster on my new iMac than on my old one.