Where to purchase Leopard (10.5) upgrade?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by taoduh, Oct 12, 2009.

1. taoduh macrumors newbie

I am helping a friend get moderately up-to-date with a Powerbook. (Don't have specs with me.)

Assuming it can run Leopard, where can I purchase an upgrade? It's pretty hard to find non-Snow Leopard products at least online. (Heck, it's hard to search for non-Snow products including in this forum.)

I found a full version for $120 at Fry's. But that probably isn't worth it for my friend. Are upgrades no longer sold?
    http://www.frys.com/product/5833943?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

TIA!

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

generally apple doesnt sell them after a new OS comes out, why would they!?

ebay will be your friend in this case :D

3. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

The $129 version of Leopard is an upgrade, that's the only version Apple ever sold (past the short Up-To-Date program for brand-spanking new Macs purchased right before Leopard was released for $10)

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

:|. huh? i have a full retail version of leopard at my house.

5. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

It's still considered an "upgrade" since all Macs that it supports shipped with OS X. Unlike Microsoft, Apple ships only one version of their OS.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Ebay/Craigslist is your best bet. It's much cheaper than $129 there. If you ask around you might find that your local Best Buys or Fry's, etc. have some leftover inventory on Leopard discs.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

let's agree to disagree then.

i consider an upgrade disc to be the type of thing that contains only the files necessary to upgrade to a newer version (such as a Service Pack for windows, or the $10 upgrade to SL that apple offered).

if a disc can install the full version of the OS, then to me it isnt an upgrade disc.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The point being, Apple has never sold any such disk. So it's really a game of semantics. Since every computer for which the licensing allows install of the OS has a previous version already installed, all copies of OS X can be considered "Upgrades". They are all also full installs.

jW

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

so, you are saying that if i delete my HDD completely and try to install my retail leopard disc (that i purchased separately from the computers), that it will not work?

similar case with my SL discs.

10. G4DP macrumors 65816

They are all called OS X for a reason. It is the same OS only more refined at every update. If you think you are getting a whole new OS every 18 - 24 months then you clearly don't know what you are talking about. And you have totally fallen for Apple's shallow and pathetic marketing ploys.

The only none upgrade release of OS X was 10.0.0. Everything since then is an update/upgrade. Apple themselves say, it is the new version of OS X at every upgrade.

OS 10 - is the operating system, 10.1 was SP1, 10.2 was SP2 and so on. The only difference being MicroSoft admit that they release service packs, Apple call them stupid names to help with marketing.

Snow Leopard is what Leopard should have been, everyone knows this, regardless of which disk you get it is an upgrade. Just as Leopard was supposed to be and upgrade from Tiger and so on.

To the OP, as others have pointed out, Ebay or Craigslist is the best chance of finding a copy of Leopard. It will be the full retail version.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i see now that we indeed are talking about two separate things.

i was referring to the OS being its own dedicated installation disc and not "like" a service pack from M$ (in the sense that one cannot install SP2 of XP and get the rest of the OS with it), i can get any OSX disc and it will work right there and then. i do not have to go back to 10.0.0 to install it then upgrade from there.

i must say though, that i disagree with you on you calling 10.* upgrades "service packs". :p

p.s. bed calls.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Umm, read my post again. I said exactly the opposite.

jW

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Either way, bottom line is: Apple sold exactly one version of Leopard. The only way to get a cheaper copy was to use the up-to-date program, but the Mac would have had to be purchased within a certain time window near when Leopard was released.

Depending on how old the Powerbook is, you might not even be able to install it (without doing some hacking) — though almost all but the oldest G4 models should be able to run it.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

so therefore you said i will need to have a previous install.. which i know is false. because i can take my install disc and install leopard onto a blank disc.