Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgallag1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Dorval, Quebec
Hi, all. I've been trying to find a good source (preferably in Canada to avoid customs charges) to purchase a set of magnetic screwdrivers. In case I want to upgrade the hard drive in my Optibay, I would like to not constantly drop the screws into random corners, and I thought a magnetic screwdriver would be useful in this case. Unfortunately, I've had quite a bit of difficulty finding such a screwdriver kit

Any suggestions as to where I can purchase a set of magnetic screwdrivers?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You generally want to avoid using magnetic screw drivers in computers. They can damage internal parts. However, you can make regular ones magnetic enough to hold a screw for a while. Just rub a magnet on the metal shaft of the screw driver.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I wouldn't recommend that as computer parts are typically pretty sensitive to magnetism. But if you are willing to take that risk, you can magnetize a standard set of screwdrivers with a strong magnet.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
As the above posters have stated, I would advise against using magnetic screwdrivers in ANY electronic equipment.

kgallag1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Dorval, Quebec
alternative to magnetic screwdrivers

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use to help me manipulate screws that fall into awkward places (or to move the screws so they don't fall)?

I have managed to install the optibay, it's just that it was an incredibly aggravating experience, given the multiple recessed screws, so I wanted to see if there was a type of screwdriver that's easier to use for this sort of picky work

TheBaconKing

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
You generally want to avoid using magnetic screw drivers in computers. They can damage internal parts. However, you can make regular ones magnetic enough to hold a screw for a while. Just rub a magnet on the metal shaft of the screw driver.

This is what I did in order to get the screws in the holes on the left side of the OptiBay. I held my screwdriver against a small magnet that I had to pick up screws on the ground for about 10 seconds. It was just long enough to get the screw in the hole.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Am I the only one who has not one but multiple sets of precision screwdrivers? More importantly, if you're a person who even thinks of working on their computer then it is baffling that you can't find a set for purchase.

Of the few I have, I have this set and it is slightly magnetic and works just fine. Upgraded a MacMini, PowerBook, MacPro etc.
PK30.jpg

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Get some dum-dum (almost like really soft tar), or electrical tape, or double sided tape. Smoosh it onto the head of your driver, and the screw will stick just long enough to get it seated.

Hell, even chewing gum will do it.

But Jessica does raise a valid point....

Stvwndr219

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
I also have a normal set of screw driver tips that are magnetically held into an exchangeable screwdriver like above and I have no problems with loosing screws off the end of it. Just something to consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.