Where to purchase miniDV tapes and Standard or "HighDef"?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by firstapple, Oct 26, 2008.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Hello all,

I am thinking about purchasing a HD miniDV camcorder very soon. I was wondering what the best places to purchase miniDV's were? Also, does it matter if I purchase standard miniDV's rather than HDV's? I am looking for the best quality for my dollars, and don't know much regarding miniDV's.

Thanks!

2. msft138 macrumors newbie

msft138

You can get miniDV tapes Walmart, Best Buy, etc. I don't know about the HD mini DV tapes though, definitely some where on the internet just google it.

3. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I have googled it. I was hoping to hear from some people that buy online (as I would get ripped off buying at Best Buy. I have searched Amazon and see some good deals. Now I just need to know if it matters whether I buy standard miniDV's or the "High Def" miniDV's.

Anyone tried both of these types in order to give me an opinion on what I should buy? (By the way, these will be going into a Canon HV20)

Thanks!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no such thing as a HD miniDV camcorder. However, you can purchase a HDV camcorder which uses standard minDV media. Some manufacturers slap HD on their tapes to imply that their product is somehow superior to regular miniDV tapes. However, they are regular miniDV tapes. Buying tapes with the HD on them won't hurt anything--except possibly your wallet. However, the HD is not necessary. Buy a name brand that you can trust and you will be fine.

5. surfmadison macrumors member

Got mine from BHPhoto

I recently bought 100 tapes from bhphoto. They offer a discount the more you buy. I got Panasonic's. Cool thing is that they are 63 minutes. Don't know why, but I love the extra minutes sometimes. Several times when speakers ran slightly long, the extra 3 minutes have really helped.

I don't necessarily shop around for the absolute cheapest price online, but BH has always been right in there. I have had good customer service (even when UPS lost a shipment) which means a lot. They stand behind their products and with online order tracking, it makes it easy to know when UPS will arrive.

6. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Thanks alot! That's the kind of reply I was hoping for. I was thinking Amazon for cheap prices or BHPhoto for quality/service.

7. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Costco sells 10 packs of TDK miniDV tapes for 16.95. Best deal I have seen.

8. TimNiego macrumors newbie

First, whatever type of tape you choose, stick with that brand of tape and don't switch around to other brands.

That said, I have been very satisfied with tapeandmedia.com for Sony DV tapes. No drop outs in nearly 300 tapes. I've used Sony tapes for HD and haven't seen any improvement in color/ drop outs/ etc.