Where to purchase the multitouch keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by damienvfx, Mar 20, 2008.

1. damienvfx macrumors regular

damienvfx

I've upgraded my internal hardrive on my First Gen Merom MBP a couple of times, so I am comfortable replacing the keyboard. Which leads me to my question:

Where can I purchase the new keyboard online? I can not find anywhere that actually has the new keyboard. Plenty of the old ones (which go for about $100). Any leads or links appreciated!

dc

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's the trackpad that's multitouch, not the keyboard. You won't be able to find a multitouch keyboard.

3. damienvfx thread starter macrumors regular

damienvfx

ok

Fair enough. Where can I buy the whole shebang? I am assuming that it is a complete piece, at least it is on my MBP. I can buy these fairly easily, but I can not find the new one yet.

4. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I am not sure what you mean...The multi-touch is a feature for the trackpad that is enabled to use different finger gestures as commands. The only thing I can think of that is related to a new keyboard is the black keyboard in the MBA?? I don't think you can put that in your MBP, and why would you want to.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can't swap out the trackpad AFAIK for a Multi-Touch one, if you really want it you're stuck buying the new MBP or the MBA.

6. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

You been drinking tonight chief?

7. damienvfx thread starter macrumors regular

damienvfx

nope

no drinking here. Have none of you ever taken apart your MBP? What I am asking is not that complicated. And there are new media
    keys on the new mbp keyboard for the record.

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

This thread has officially crossed over... to the crack-head zone.

Seriously, I really doubt the part is interchangable, but be my guest there.

As far as where to find the part, I'm sure you can type google.com as easy as any of us.

9. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Seriously who the eff wants to swap out a keyboard and a trackpad for the new features? just ebay the old one and pony up a few bucks for the new if you need it that bad

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

11. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

For the record I know there are new media keys on the MBP keyboard. For the record you asked for a multi-touch keyboard, which is nonsensical.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No can do. Everything is tied to the planar card, so it wouldn't work. The new boards only work on the new Peryn machines and the older keys only work on the Merom and older machine. Same goes for the rest of the shibang.

13. ripplet macrumors member

Sorry dude, but the whole "shebang" doesn't work with any other MBPs other than the latest ones. Good luck finding any "shebang"s in the market right now.

And besides, you don't even make sense. It's the trackpad that has multi-touch gestures, not the keyboard.

F.Y.I.
    trackpad = the small rectangular portion at the lower part of your MBP that your fingers move over to operate the mouse.
    keyboard = input device with many different keys/buttons to press.

14. cdavi060 macrumors regular

the only person who posted a helpful response. i was also thinking about swapping the keyboard cover with trackpad when replacing my hard drive soon since it all comes off in one piece and replacing it with a new one with multi touch but seeing it has more to do than just the hardware i guess i wont be.