Where to purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gusanitoverde, Dec 7, 2009.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I want to give my wife a MBP for Christmas. I have been searching places other than ebay. Where do you recommend to buy a good machine for the best price?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The price of Macs are fairly well set, in that you'll not see to much of difference be it macmall, macconnection or bestbuy.

I'd go with apple, personally since the price is virtually the same but then I can be a fanboy at times

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Resellers are restricted to unilateral pricing by Apple, meaning everybody pretty much charges the same price for Apple products, but there is some leeway allowed. Generally, Amazon, MacConnection, MacMall and possibly some others discount prices somewhat. On top of that some like MacConnection and MacMall have mail-in rebates lowering the price further. Right now I believe that MacConnection has the lowest price (after rebate).

4. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Thank you... However....

That's precisely what I am referring to...

I thought that there could be somewhere or a way to get the Mac at a better price.

Last time (3 years ago) I got mine on ebay. A top of the line MBP 17" for $2,200. But it was a heart attack to get the unit to me. I had such a nightmare almost loosing that money that I do not want to bet so much money on ebay anymore.

I miss the good old days when you could just to go the apple store and choose a refreshed product and test it before you walked out with it. I used to get pretty good stuff.

Sigh!

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

There's always the refurb section of the online Apple Store. But, MacConnection's after rebate prices are pretty close to the refurb prices for current generation Macs. If you go back a generation or so, the refurbs would be lower prices. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is a student/military/government discount.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Personally I'd buy direct from Apple/AppleStore (online), simply put, you'll get better customer service and if there should be any issues, you won't have so much of a headache (speaking from personal experience) also, you'll know what you'll be sold is either NEW or Refurb - you choose).

Sometimes people on ebay can sell a new products that's been opened, unwanted gifts or more in some extreme cases illegally acquired (of the back of the truck)

7. donjuan2009 macrumors member

microcenter.com you can get the macbook for 999 plus 200 visa card