Where to put all my movies????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Noek, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Noek macrumors newbie

I have a lot of home DVD movies that I am converting to m4v and adding to iTunes to view via apple tv. I have so many movies on my little MacBook pro from the itune store and other movies that I am running short on hd space. Without having to get a larger drive, is there a way to store them on an external drive and still watch them on apple tv? I am thinking that I can store them on an external drive and when I want to watch them, I have to import them into iTunes, is this the best solution, aside from upgrading my hd? Thanks in advance.

2. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

There are a few ways you can make this work:

1. You can move your iTunes library to the external drive. Depending on the drive you have/are looking to purchase and how you commonly access most of your iTunes content, this may not be a good solution.

2. You can make a separate iTunes library on the external drive specifically for your movies. To change the iTunes library, hold the option key while you open iTunes and the program will prompt you to choose your library.

3. You can simply move the movies to the external drive and delete the files from your iTunes library. Then, go to Preferences>advanced and uncheck the box next to the "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library." After you have done that, import your movies into the library. The only thing is that iTunes will get a little confused when you don't have the external drive plugged in (but not enough to hinder your iTunes experience).

Those are the solutions I can think of off the top of my head.

3. Noek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the excellent tips. I think option 2 sounds good, I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.