Where to put TV in new house?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jknight8907, Jul 15, 2010.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Me and my wife just bought a new house, and I'm trying to decide where to locate the entertainment area in the living room. It's an open floorplan with a large living/dining room that's partially open to the kitchen. Here's some photos to help:

This is the north end of the room. Just left of the edge of that picture is the hallway heading to the bedrooms.
    [​IMG]

This is the south end of the room. It has a built-in area for a TV above the ventless gas fireplace.

[​IMG]

I'm trying to decide if I want to use the built-in nook over the fireplace, or use my current 'entertainment center' against the north wall. Ideas?

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I would go with north wall if it were me. I am not a fan of Tv's above the fireplace as I feel it is a bit like being forced to sit on the front row at the movie theatre. I much prefer a controlled viewing experience.

Also, your new house looks very nice.

3. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Congratulations on your new house!
    And I would agree with Knowimagination.
    Or if you feeling risky put it at the south wall(Not the nook).

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

As I assume you are in the Northern Hemisphere, I think you'd get more glare from that west-facing glass door at the north end, since the Sun is in the South. Thus, I'd recommend the south wall.

Oh, Jonesboro, AR... missed that! :D

5. Roric macrumors regular

I see lots of wall plates, but where are the cable ones?

If it works, how about putting it to the left of the patio door on the same wall? Or is that more the dining room area?

6. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Thanks guys! It's the nicest house we found in the area in our price range. One of those where you walk in and know it's the one. :D

If I remember correctly there are cable plates on the south wall only. That's not much of a concern though, I'm familiar with running wire and will just add one wherever the TV ends up at.

I think I'm going to go with the north wall. Then I'll either create a seating area around the fireplace with some comfy chairs, or maybe a dining table, though the kitchen has an area designed for a table:

In this picture, the fireplace is just out of view to the left.
    [​IMG]

7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Looks spiffy, gotta agree on the "over the fireplace" fad that happened a few years ago though. I thought it seemed REALLY odd that people wanted to look up to watch TV, makes for a lot of neck pain! Some designers think that having a tv and a fireplace too close causes a fight of focal points, but I never really saw the issue myself.

8. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Beautiful house!
    I think that putting the tv in the north end of the room would be best, and it would leave room for a comfortable sitting area near the fireplace.
    Maybe fill the area above the fire place with some nice pictures, or some other eye catching item:)

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins