Where to report attempts to steal identity information?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by velocityg4, Aug 31, 2009.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I got some bogus automated message saying your credit/debit card has been canceled along with a long winded explanation then asked me to press a number to speak with the security department plus an 800 number to call. Quite obviously this immediately sent up red flags that they are trying to con someone into giving them important personal identity information. Too bad I neglected to write down the bogus 800 number.

Anyways the Federal Trade Commissions complaint assistant does not have forms for attempts to swipe identity information. Only for attempts to set up accounts or use your credit after that information has been stolen. So where would be a good place to start? I thought of the police however, the scammers are likely not in my state so they would be pretty useless, I would assume.

The phone call said they were CDC Federal Credit Union. Which I never heard of and has some poor quality web site.

A Google search on the caller ID says the number belongs to:
    Logistics Engineering & Enviromental Support Services Inc
    5568 General Washington D, Alexandria, VA 22312
    (703) 750-2001

Which quite obviously does not match CDC Federal Credit Union.

Note: If a few regular members can vouch for this company and phone number then I will not pursue a complaint. Though some newb suddenly signing up to defend this company will not be believed.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If it is a scam, the caller ID number was probably spoofed.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Whoa, talk about timing! I've recently decided to act on a caller calling me 6x+ times a day. I am deaf, and cannot answer the phone, so they are starting to piss me off. I checked the number, and sure enough it's likely a spoofed number from BoA, they try to scam me by telling me I owe money, according to what I read.

I wish I have a way to report it. I'm reporting it to my bank, because it impacts their customers, but I doubt they can do much.

****ing bastards.