Where to (safely!) buy a 2015 macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lewallen, Nov 30, 2016.

1. lewallen macrumors newbie

For various reasons, I think I'm going to return my new 2016 MBP-tb (I do think there are many great things about it, it just doesn't work for me at present). Instead, I am trying to purchase the maxed out mid-2015 Macbook pro model (the previous model, with a 1TB SSD, 2.8Ghz processor, and Radeon R9 dGPU). However, I am having a hard time finding it anywhere. I am happy to buy it at (what was) full retail price, or I'd be happy with an apple-certified refurbished model.

Currently I have only found this brand new version from an Amazon third party seller, unfortunately they are a brand new seller with no ratings
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011CX5R06?m=A1T6X2C2NY89VA&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

There is also this posting from a large seller on Ebay, which claims it is an Apple-certified refurbished model (I just emailed them to ask if any proof of this comes with the product, I'll see what they say):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-15-4-...727746?hash=item360c9b2382:g:IS0AAOSwB09YJIu6 and also
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...332299?hash=item41b7c9d60b:g:MewAAOSwal5YKmWt

I don't have any experience buying computers anywhere but directly from Apple, so I would really appreciate any advice or opinions which any one hear can offer, on the safety / reliability of anything like the above. I'd also be interested in any ideas about where else to look for the computer.

Thanks a lot!

2. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Do you want a 15" or a 13"? In any event, have you checked out B&H Photo?

3. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

4. jdelgado macrumors regular

5. Reznor macrumors newbie

Yep, buy directly from apple. I just spoke to the AU store today and they sent me a link for the 2015 MBP.

6. Mikey96 macrumors newbie

I checked the Apple Canadian web store as I live in Canada, and you can still configure and purchase a maxed spec 2015 model with the 1TB SSD and any processor

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

i bought mine of eBay in July. just do your do diligence (check seller ratings, etc) and you should be fine

8. ratbastard macrumors newbie

ratbastard

lewallen,
    I often see Apple certified refurbished units on macsales.com, also known as other world computing and are a reputable Apple accessory provider. Their Apple certified refurbished units include the full 1-year Apple warranty & are eligible for AppleCare protection.

ratbastard

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is still selling the 2015 15" MBP on their website.
    Capto_Capture 2017-01-22_06-36-03_AM.png