Where to SAFELY buy MBP 13? Pros & Cons?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dloreski, May 2, 2010.

1. dloreski macrumors member

I'm guessing at either MacMall or Apple direct?
    If I buy from Apple, I know that I pay 6% PA sales tax.
    Does anyone know if macmall charges sales tax?
    Also, does the Genius Bar help anyone with a new Mac, or only if you purchased it from Apple?
    I'm staying clear of ebay. I know there are some reputables on there, but I don't want any possible hassles with the deal.
    - Dave

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

PowerMax is also a reputable place and will not charge you sales tax.

And the Genius Bar will service and do warranty work on news Macs regardless of whether they were purchased at the Apple Store or not.

3. Mirabella macrumors regular

Mac Connection is a reputable retailer with good customer service, and they don't charge sales tax.

As scaredpoet said, you can bring your MBP in for warranty service at the Genius Bar of any Apple Store (in the U.S., at least – I don't know about elsewhere), regardless where you bought it.

4. dloreski thread starter macrumors member

I forgot about Mac Connection, thank you.
    Looks like they have the new base model MBP 13 for $1049 after their $100 mail in rebate.
    That's the best safe price I've seen so far.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

That's what I paid for mine - it was the best I could find, too. Macmall is a little cheaper up front, but the rebate from Macconnection makes it an about $75 better deal.

6. germinator macrumors regular

I have personally had good experiences with both MacConnection and Amazon.

I would avoid MacMall, there are many reports of unhappy people and shoddy business practices there.

7. Sybil macrumors newbie

8. lordofuo macrumors regular

I know you don't want the tax, but I went straight through Apple. Since I'm still in college, i got a hefty educational discount that paid for the tax. I believe this base model 13" (mid 2010 model) was $1099. Not bad. I'm sure there was a better deal out there, but the savings don't amount to much. ;)

Alex :apple:

9. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen