Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I purchased a 21.5" iMac earlier this year. It has the following specs:

Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB
Hard Drive 1TB Fusion Drive
AppleCare 3yr Plan

Its in excellent condition, and I have the original box still. Not even 9 months old yet. However, I miss the portability of a laptop, and am waiting on haswell retina MBP's. I'm still debating, but I would rather not have two computers, because I hate working and saving to one and not the other. With my new job, I can either use one of their crappy laptops, or provide my own (which I want to do).

So my question is, where do I sell my iMac? No eBay!!! So sick of scammers and eBay's favoritism with buyers. Craigslist is an option, but I hate the, "I'll give you $100 plus my pS3 for your iMac." Sell your Mac.com offers $1060 because I have all the original accessories and box and listed the condition as flawless. But I still feel this isn't a fair amount.

I just don't want a laptop and desktop. One or the other. If I opt for the 13" rMBP, I'll never use my iMac anymore and it will just collect dust.

Suggestions...

Last edited:

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
If your near Boston I'll give you 900 cash haha. In all honesty your thing is 9 months old and you don't want it. Try trading it for a Macbook pro retina but even then why did you buy apple care(300 bucks you won't get back) and not just the base model. $1,060 for something used is a ton of money but you will def get more on Craigslist(annoying people but stay firm you know you can get $1,060 on sell my mac, don't accept anything under that) or Amazon(shipping is annoying/dangerous, and Fees)

Look in all honestly I can get the base model for 1100 new with my student discount.

Problem with Macs is they are real expensive and for people who buy the more expensive versions why pay someone 1,500 for a 1,800 computer if YOU HAVE 1,500 BUCKS !!!!!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You can call 1-800-MY-APPLE and have the AppleCare plan canceled, I believe you'll get a pro-rated refund - so figure that in on top of what you'd get.

Really it's down to top-dollar or convenience. You could get more money on eBay or CraigsList but as you noted, those are a hassle. So you just have to decide whether you want the hassle and more $$$, or easy and less $$$.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
If your near Boston I'll give you 900 cash haha. In all honesty your thing is 9 months old and you don't want it. Try trading it for a Macbook pro retina but even then why did you buy apple care(300 bucks you won't get back) and not just the base model. $1,060 for something used is a ton of money but you will def get more on Craigslist(annoying people but stay firm you know you can get $1,060 on sell my mac, don't accept anything under that) or Amazon(shipping is annoying/dangerous, and Fees)

Look in all honestly I can get the base model for 1100 new with my student discount.

Problem with Macs is they are real expensive and for people who buy the more expensive versions why pay someone 1,500 for a 1,800 computer if YOU HAVE 1,500 BUCKS !!!!!

When I purchased the AC for this iMac I didn't plan on selling it for a couple of years. I also didn't have the job I have now either. A lot of factors have changed. I used my student discount to purchase this computer and the AppleCare wasn't also discounted.

You can call 1-800-MY-APPLE and have the AppleCare plan canceled, I believe you'll get a pro-rated refund - so figure that in on top of what you'd get.

Really it's down to top-dollar or convenience. You could get more money on eBay or CraigsList but as you noted, those are a hassle. So you just have to decide whether you want the hassle and more $$$, or easy and less $$$.

I knew about that, but was going to try to submit a counteroffer to sellmymac.com and see what they say. The thing with Craigslist is that this no small item. Can't really bring it to a random store and plugin, like a laptop.

So I have a lot to consider. It might be too much of a hassle to sell.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I don't know where you live but I always have people come to my apartment and use the items. You have so much more pull then. Like if you and I agreed to 1,200 for your iMac. Then you come to a star bucks and I go o crap I only have 1000 or 1100. You'll most likely be like screw it and take it. If they are at your place you just go hey their is an ATM 4 blocks down that street get the money and come back.:D

You talk to the person before hand and see them before you let them in. I don't get why people are so scared of Craiglist.:confused:

another issue of sellmymac or any online place that gives you a estimate. Is they can come back with some bullcrud about it's not the condition you think it is then offer you less when they get it. They are giving you their best price for your item and it can go down if it's not what they call flawless.

Had that happen to my friends girlfriend who sent her iphone 4s to gazzelle.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I don't know where you live but I always have people come to my apartment and use the items. You have so much more pull then. Like if you and I agreed to 1,200 for your iMac. Then you come to a star bucks and I go o crap I only have 1000 or 1100. You'll most likely be like screw it and take it. If they are at your place you just go hey their is an ATM 4 blocks down that street get the money and come back.:D

You talk to the person before hand and see them before you let them in. I don't get why people are so scared of Craiglist.:confused:

another issue of sellmymac or any online place that gives you a estimate. Is they can come back with some bullcrud about it's not the condition you think it is then offer you less when they get it. They are giving you their best price for your item and it can go down if it's not what they call flawless.

Had that happen to my friends girlfriend who sent her iphone 4s to gazzelle.

Having people come to your house or apartment might not be so smart and here is why. You sell your iphone, macbook, or iMac and that person now knows where you live. They have an issue and decide to come knocking on your door expecting you to fix it. You politely tell them that the sale was final, but they're not listening and now this person wants to vandalize your home or car. Of course I'm taking it to the extreme, but that can very easily happen. I have sold a few things on Craigslist and never really had a problem, but they can happen.

Selling my iMac is looking to be way more of a hassle than I thought it was going to be. I can't see letting a current gen iMac that I've babied since day one go for less than 2K. Of course I won't get that which is why I'm more than likely going to just get the 13" retina MacBook pro. It will probably be the current one with the Intel Graphics 4000. The more I think about it, I don't think Apple is going to update the MBP's this month, but more likely next month. I can't wait that long, as it come down to me wanting the latest and greatest, when the previous generation will serve me just fine.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
do you have a 21.5 or a 27 inch one? 2k !!! Where are you getting that number for. It's used. Be happy you are even getting 50% of what you paid for it. Try to sell a Camera that came out 6 months ago online and see what happens. Macs keep their value but not that awesome.

I mean I usually buy my Macs for 1,000 or 950(open box) in Boston every 2 years at Microcenter. Sell them for $850-950 with tons of data on it. I am able to do that because the Macs I sell are suppose to be $1,200 bucks new based on Apple prices.

The computer you mentioned on Apple website is 1950 w/o Applecare which won't get you extra money and not including tax. People don't pay tax on craigslist and applecare is something you wanted not something they want and adds no value. At the end of the day your computer is a 21 inch computer that you maxed out it's specs. People see it and go 1,200 new at Apple why should I pay you more than that.

Sell on Amazon/Ebay and pay 20% and get more money. Amazon only lets you sell the base not upgraded models. Ebay is going to fist you with fees but you might be able to get $1,400 for it there.

mizaco

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
eBay or some forums like hardforum.com that focuses on electronics (specifically computers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.