Where to sell a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tweak3D, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Tweak3D macrumors regular

I have a 17in macbook pro unibody that I would like to sell for a 13in and an imac with the i7 as this will fit my needs better. Does anyone know of a reputable place that I can sell my machine and not have to pay extremely large fees like ebay or from being jumped on craigslist? Thanks

Justin

2. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I use craigslist and ebay. But IME, craigslist is not very effective because it is mostly non-serious buyers with terrible spelling & unrealistic offers. Occasionally, it pans out and it is free to post so you might as well do it but for the most part you get a lot of morons.

Ebay works better for me at least in terms of attracting serious buyers. Often a local buyer will see my listing and contact me and we will arrange the transaction in person. I give them a break on my asking price and I avoid the ridiculous ebay/paypal fees. Always meet in a public place like a Starbucks. Also, you might want to have them sign an invoice or receipt. Cash only. Be realistic but firm on your price. When the right buyer comes along he will pay your asking price. Good luck

3. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

you could try amazon.com
    never really thought about it but its kinda hard to sell a mac for a good price

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've stopped selling high (and low) priced goods on mafiaBay because of all the nigerian scammers, double dipping with (notyour)PayPal, idiot buyers who want you to bend backwards for them and still leave (-) feedback because they can't read the auction, oh and the fact that after paypal is finish double dipping they can (and will) use your cash as an interest free loan until they don't need it anymore.

Craigslist doesn't get me as many bites as it used to, and most of the time I get e-mail and phone taggers who want to ask questions but don't really want to buy.

I don't think you'd be able to sell on AZ unless there is some sort of auction area. Isn't technology one of those restricted items?

5. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Be more active here and then sell in the Marketplace forum.

6. zorahk macrumors 6502

Agreed. I was about to say, nothing beats the marketplace forum.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Coming from someone who can't use it??? :confused:

Craigslist is also a good option, while there will inevitably be scammers, it's easy to sort through them and it doesn't cost you anything.

8. Tweak3D thread starter macrumors regular

whats the post count requirement for the market place forum? If I donate do I get access right away? Thanks

9. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

6 months membership and at least 250 posts. Donating does not bypass the post and time requirements. For all Marketplace information see http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules :)

10. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

Powermax seems to give somewhat decent trade in offers, and they are a reputable company. If you're buying another machine from them there's no problem with emailing them on their page and seeing what they can do.

Other than that I recommend Craigslist. If you list it now and then keep looking for other alternatives it'll at least possibly bring you some offers and the ability to get it in $ up front in a public place for the trade.

Good luck!