Where to sell a MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iHarrison, May 19, 2013.

1. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

Anyone know or recommend a good service to use for selling my used MacBook?

I'll be looking to upgrade to a new MacBook Pro in June after Apple (hopefully) announces an upgraded line at WWDC. I'd like to get something for my old one, which still functions quite well.

Thanks

2. 7itanium macrumors member

Craigslist or ebay is where I sell them pretty frequently

Craigslist will usually bring you a bit more money, plus you have the luxury of a cash deal

ebay is good for a quick sell but sometimes you get dead beat bidders that dont pay (you just have to relist, as they pay before shipment)

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been using Gazelle lately. You won't get as much as selling yourself on eBay or CL, but much also less hassle and lower risk.

4. firstrev360 macrumors member

5. 7itanium macrumors member

Seriously?

You should start messaging me... I will wire you twice as much in a heartbeat

they just offered me $40 for my nexus 7, and $111 for my 2009 macbook

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, seriously. Look, compare recently ended eBay auctions for your item to the Gazelle offer, then factor in all the eBay/Paypal fees and make your decision. If you don't think the convenience is worth the lower Gazelle offer, then by all means use eBay or CL.

Right now Gazelle is offering $632 for my 2012 MBA and recent eBay auctions look like they are pulling between $800-900. Factor in fees and even with the high end $900, I would clear about $810. So best case, I might make an extra $178 on eBay... worst case I make $88 more. So for me, the potential extra $178 (or $88) is just not worth all the hassle and risk of some scammer on eBay claiming I sent him a box of rocks then eBay taking the scammers side.

7. slomo86 macrumors member

slomo86

Not sure if your up for it or not, I would be willing to buy it depending on the specs... If you would be interested in that message me and we could make a deal.

-Joe