Where to sell a MBPr in NYC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by woa37, Aug 10, 2014.

1. woa37 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Been following the forums for a while and finally joined today.

I received a new MBPr as a birthday gift. Already have one from work so I've been trying to sell this one but not having much luck.

I posted it on Craigslist in NYC but the responses fall in two categories:
    1) People who lowball me by $200+
    2) People who are overseas and want me to mail it after they wire me $. Sounds like a scam.

I'd rather avoid ebay since I don't want to pay the fees or ship the item.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. nyutnyut macrumors member

#2 is most likely a scam.

I'd just stick with craigslist and say Price is Firm.

just curious, what model and how much are you asking for it?

3. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

You won't get top dollar this way, but it's a guaranteed transaction with no hassle or risk. I've used them several times and I'm sure lots of other members would say the same positive things.

https://www.gazelle.com/sell/macbook

4. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Craigslist is your best bet. What model rMBP is it, what are the specs and how much do you have it listed for.

5. inboxer macrumors regular

I've personally used buybackworld to sell my Macbook Pro. This company is actually based out of NYC (Queens) as well, so your processing time should be fast.
    Buybackworld's prices are a bit more competitive than Gazelle's as well.

http://www.buybackworld.com/sell/macbook

6. woa37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I had a buyer via Craigslist but it fell through. Here is the Craigslist ad in case anyone is interested: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ele/4630052526.html. The model is A1502 and I listed for $1149 (it's $1175 at Best Buy w/o tax).

Strangely, I couldn't find this item on Gazelle or BuyBackWorld. Maybe it's too new for them? I reached out to both companies for a quote and will update when I hear back.

7. willydimes macrumors regular

Well the price is why you're not getting hits honestly. Back in May my friend bought a sealed 15 inch rMBP base model for 1600 which retailed for 2000 plus tax at the time. So honestly 200 less than retail seems fair to me

8. woa37 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had looked at the completed listings on ebay and priced it a little lower than what it sold for there. (Though I last checked ebay a few weeks ago and things might have changed since.)

9. willydimes macrumors regular

isn't yours the 2013 model though? People on Craigslist are also going to pay less than one would on eBay. Yours is for sale on Apple refurb site for 1020, if you want to sell on craigslist you're looking closer to 900 I would say

10. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

200 less than retail for something that is brand new and sealed. seems a little to low.

11. willydimes macrumors regular

Not really it is Craigslist after all. I mean just think would you buy off Craigslist to save 100 bucks? On a 1100 laptop. Not really. And with it being 1020 on refurb it's certainly not worth 1125. It's all relative really and for it to sell it will need to be lower. 200 below retail is pretty common place being as its already owned regardless of in plastic or not it's not coming from Apple Store.

12. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Just felt I should add that I recently picked this exact model up at best buy for 1k plus tax because of my student discount. Pretty much anyone can get that coupon one way or another. I'd say you may have some luck listing it for a grand firm.

13. woa37 thread starter macrumors newbie

So just a follow up:

Gazelle offered $626.
    BuyBackWorld offered $820.

Both companies were reliable and responded quickly to my inquires.

Fortunately, I found someone off Craigslist (an undergrad student) who bought it for $1125. We exchanged FB and LinkedIn profiles to ensure neither was a scammer. I guess it was a combination of patience and luck but it ended up working out well.