Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jahobie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
I love my Iphone 7, but found out today i am getting a phone through work so no longer need it. Where would you suggest I sell it at? I also have AppleCare, can this be transferred with the phone?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
AppleCare can be transferred but I'd just cancel it and get your prorated amount back. The amount paid for AppleCare+ will most likely not be fully paid back through a sale. Swappa is relatively safe. Craig'sList is the best in my opinion if you are smart about it since you will have cash in hand.

jahobie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Thanks for the quick response. I did not realize you could cancel the AppleCare. I will look into this!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Craig's List would be my choice. You will have to weed out a few tire kickers in their emails but when someone come along that wants it and has the money, you will know it.

Meet at your local Starbucks so they can looks at it and walk away with cash in hand.

Reactions: fraile

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah ebay is a big NO since they offer 30 day money back to buyers. Craigslist is the best even if you have to sell it cheaper than Ebay

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
I love my Iphone 7, but found out today i am getting a phone through work so no longer need it. Where would you suggest I sell it at? I also have AppleCare, can this be transferred with the phone?

Just a thought. Can you still load all the apps you want? I know some work places will limit what can be loaded and what the phone is used for.

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Swappa is good but you'll lose about $37 in shipping cost. $28 if you pack it yourself.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Don't waste time on eBay. I tried selling my 6s Plus and I had 3 bad transactions in a row. Previously, I've always used eBay and had nothing but good experiences. I watch a lot of auctions before I sell to get an idea of what they end at and I'd say 60-70% end up being relisted. I recommend Swappa and Craigslist.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you have an Apple Store nearby I'd just do Craigslist and meet st Apple Store. I used to do this and it was always the easiest and safest choice.

If this isn't an option I'd still trust Craigslist in front of a police station or even in a mall. I recently sold my wife's iPhone 6s (first phone I've sold in three years tbh) and I told the buyer we'd be meeting at the Apple Store. He didn't have a problem with it.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
This doesn't prevent a chargeback from paypal when the buyer claims he received an empty box. Paypal sides with the buyer 99% of the time, proof or not.

Agreed.

While many members here have had good experiences so far via Swappa, unfortunately I'd say it's only a matter of time until the fraudsters ruin it the same way they have with eBay.

PayPal chargeback fraud just seem way to easy to get away with as a buyer. Most sellers aren't expecting it, and even if you document everything properly you can see countless examples online of PayPal siding with the buyer.

While it's not as easy as selling online and you don't have as many potential customers, meeting at a very public place via CL and doing a cash only transaction is usually the 'safest' way (provided you don't get robbed) to sell a phone.

Reactions: Rocko99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.