Where to sell iPod Touch/Current Value?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ms.sarcastic, Oct 26, 2011.

1. ms.sarcastic macrumors newbie

I have a like-new iPod touch.. (I got it last year, it stopped working, Apple recently exchanged it for a new one since it had AppleCare).

I barely use it now since I have an iPhone so I figured I'd sell the new unit. Tried Craigslist/Ebay, but all I get are lowball offers/fake bids. It's a 64gb 3rd gen, and while I realize not having a camera or retinal display does lower the price, it has to be worth more than $100?! Especially as an essentially brand new unit?

I was asking for $350 when it was still under AppleCare, but since AppleCare expires this month, I figure I can get $250-300 for it. Is this a good price?

And if so, where's the best place to sell?
    Thanks

----------

BTW, I did a google search and found the companies that buy back electronics (NextWorth, Gazelle, etc) but the offers for a previous gen ipod is (as expected) very low. I was just wondering if there was a place to sell the iPod at a decent price that i didn't know about.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

$350 for a 3G 64GB iPod Touch is WAY too high. Even $250-300 is too high. $150-$200 is a more reasonable range.

eBay is a reasonable place if you have a positive feedback history. You might also check Best Buy's online trade-in site. I've received surprisingly decent trade-in values on the equipement that I sent it. They may not give the absolute top dollar, but for a sense of security (not getting ripped off by scammers), it was worth it to me.

3. WLS, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

Yea I would say it'd be worth $150 maybe a bit more if it is in cherry condition. I'm thinking of getting a used one but a 4th Gen with the A4 chip is much more tempting then a 3rd gen.. While a 3rd gen is not that old the fact that it has the old CPU makes it seem more like its older
    just sayin.

4. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Sorry to echo the post above but your thinking is WAAAY to high. You are not only 2 generations old, those two newer units offer way more value to buyers.

Think about who your buyer is. Buying a 3rd generation is likely going to be a gym unit or something for a child. Either way your buyer is on a budget.

I would say at most you could get the same as a new 8gb or $200. Personally I wouldn't pay more then $150, but thats just me.

5. nickn, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

nickn macrumors 6502

As already stated $350 is way way way to high. You can purchase a refurbished 3rd gen 64gb ipod touch directly from apple for just $250. Keep in mind that refurbished models would have a new battery, no scratches, and a 1 year warranty. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC011LL/A
    Personally I would pay at most $175 for the iPod from you.

Also guys there is no 5th generation iPod touch. Apple simply introduced the 4th gen in white. There is no A5 or increased ram or anything for that matter. The latest generation iPod touch is the 4th generation.

6. iEvolution macrumors 65816

You've got to be kidding me, charging $350 for a iPod Touch 3rd gen? You can get a brand new 4G for $50 more, not to mention the 64GB iPod Touch 3rd gen refurb at the apple store is at $250.

$200 TOPS if in excellent condition, I don't see how you think you can charge near retail for a product that is over two years old (originally released in 2009). Though I see it a lot with apple products, people charging retail for the freakin iPhone 3G.

eBay is probably your best bet, Craigslist is shady and seems like the biggest cheapskates look there.

7. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

8. ms.sarcastic thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: people who said it's a used unit.. like I said, I'm essentially selling a brand new unit, since it was a replacement unit from Apple due to the malfunction of the first one. So it's a NEW unit - no scratches, new battery, etc. I had it priced at $350 because it still had AppleCare but just realized that expires end of this month.

Didn't know the refurbished units were that cheap. I guess mine has the bonus of being a new unit, but having essentially no warranty. I will repost with $200.

Thanks for all the feedback, appreciate your help!

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The iPod touch announced this year is identical to last years internally. The iPt 3G and 4G both have the same amount of RAM, GPU and CPU architecture, the only real difference is the clock speed (600MHz vs 800MHz respectively)... So that may make the iPt 4G less appealing to you.

10. WLS, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

Well I was getting confused with the 8GB model that was just the second gen with a software update. But I have looked into it and the 3rd gen is substantially different from the 4th. The A4 was in the 4th gen only. The 3rd gen has a similar cortex 8 and the graphics processor is the same but they are not combined into an optimized A4 SOC. The difference makes the 4th gen thinner and faster and the 4th gen also has the retina resolution and cameras. Still one should be able to get up to $200 for a 64GB one from the right party. I'm interested now in the 3rd gen for the price and the fact that it does not have the useless cameras.

11. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

2nd gen 8GB - 50- 100$
    3rd gen 32 GB - 100 - 150$
    3rd gen 64 GB - 200 - 250$
    4th gen 8GB 125 - 175$

Marketvalue of used iPods

12. WLS, Oct 29, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

where are you posting it? eBay? do you have a listing number, I might be interested in it.

13. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Technically it is not a new unit- apple replacements are refurbs so there is no advantage to yours. The apple one would have a longer warranty too.

14. WLS, Oct 29, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

Just to give you a reference. You can buy a refurbished Gen3 Touch 64GB for $249 from Apple and that gives you a year warranty. Your refurbished Touch would be the same item and no warranty so again $200 is about as much as you should expect.
    I'd pay $180 at the most myself. PM me if you want to discuss further.

15. ms.sarcastic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the interest, but I ended up selling it on Craigslist for $200.

16. transmaster, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

Go to Gazelle

You should listen to Leo LaPort at TWiT. Go here: http://www.gazelle.com/
    They will give you a fair value quote on line. The quoted price for a like new 3G is $144 dollars :D