Where to Sell New/Never Used iPhone 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PTVMan, Oct 30, 2014.

1. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I have a new, never used, never activated AT&T, silver, 64GB iPhone Plus that I'd like to sell because my 6 is enough for me. Any recommendations on where to and how much to ask? I've sold stuff on Craigslist before and thinking about posting there, but sometimes getting all the ridiculous offers is a pain. Any advice/guidance is appreciated.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Craig list and Ebay. Ebay will get you more people looking. CL is cheaper or free but the hassle is a pain in the hind end dealing with the nuts.

You will likely get offers from people here as the 6+ is in high demand. Was the phone purchased subsidized?

3. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean about the nuts. When I sold my iPad Air on CL I had a guy offer a hunting rifle for trade.

The phone was bought at full price from AT&T, so I'm not sure if it's unlocked or not?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would try Craigs List. Pretty sure it will be locked to ATT.

When I do use CL, I find getting to know the buyer with a few emails and phone call helps. You can usually tell if they are a nut. Beware as people will do anything to have that phone. I had my best luck by having people email offer and the top offers will get a call back.

Best of luck!

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd sell it on CraigsList. Meet in a public place, accept cash only, bring a friend. Good luck.

6. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, guys! Given that the phone was purchased at the full price of $849 from AT&T can I (or the buyer) ask AT&T to unlock the phone?

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

If it was bought at an AT&T store full retail it's probably locked, though it can be unlocked given certain conditions (see ATT site). From an Apple store full retail it's shouldn't be. Find a friend with a T-Mobile or other non-AT&T SIM and try it out.

8. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

I have sunset Overdrive game which just came out a day or so ago.

I listed for $55.

Someone responded with: I give you $40 or if I have to come and pick it up from you then I will give $30.

----------

Another responded: since you preordered the game, I know it comes with $15 microsoft gift card or $10 best buy certificates. I want those including the day one codes.

Will you take $40 and drop it off at my house? I don't have transportation.

----------

Another responded: will you sell it for $30? If not, then I will just wait next month when it drops to $25. (Thinking to myself, why even ask me)

----------

Another responded: I have someone who will sell it to me for $45, can you beat that?

----------

Another responded: would trade for some website design help, up to $50 worth?

----------

Another responded: do you take payment plans?

----------

Can you hold it for me until my next paycheck?

9. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

There's a lot for sale on craigslist. I put mine up for a week with no hits. Only $100 mark up, but come on, it was the first batch of shipments. I would try eBay or here?

10. PNutts, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If you have enough posts the MacRumors Marketplace is a good place to buy/sell. I'll send you a PM.

Edit: I didn't answer your other question. There are some phones on Craigslist in my area that seem to be priced about $150 over cost (that haven't sold) and the ones I've seen on eBay usually starts around $200 over cost and go up from there. Yesterday I offered someone on CL $100 over their cost on their new unboxed AT&T Silver 128GB 6+ that's been listed for 15 days and haven't heard back yet.

With that said I think $950 plus 3% shipping/paypal would be a good place to start. But you may be able to find the right buyer who is willing to pay more. In other cities the prices may be higher. If you go eBay I personally wouldn't sell internationally but there are a few people here that have done that successfully. I think I've seen more bad stories than good.

No offense to the other poster but I don't see any reason to sell it at a loss until you can't sell it at all above what you paid for it. I guess it depends on how quickly you need the money and how much you are willing to lose on it. You must be past the 14 day return window or you could simply return it but not make any profit at all. If you decide to sell it for $400 I'll take as many as you have. ;)

11. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. jeproks macrumors newbie

Sold my 5s on ebay 3 weeks ago and will never sell on eBay again. I was promised a trending price of $455 and they will give me the difference in coupon if it sells below thatafter 7-10 business days after sale. It sold for $421 and eBay only charged the buyer $5.95 shipping. eBay charges final value fee on the selling price and shipping. They require the seller to ship with signature confirmation to qualify for seller protection which comes out of seller's pocket. You also get hit with paypal fees.

I expected to pay for selling on ebay but be charged value fee on the shipping?

I contacted eBay after 12 business days to ask why my coupon have not been issued yet. Received a $17 coupon the next day so I contacted them again and ask why it was only $17 and not $34. I was told that the trending price when I requested the coupon was $438.

I had better luck selling on CL. You just gotta know how to ignore lowballers and ignore scammers. I always meet at a public location preferably a place that I know have cameras.

13. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

To go one better, tell them to meet you in the parking lot of your local police dept.

14. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Where to Sell New/Never Used iPhone 6+

+

The best way to reduce risk is by increasing the quality of the people you are dealing with. Geeks are some of the nicest people on the planet and self select to be on MR and must work to join Marketplace. And there are zero listing fees, what more could you want?

15. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

How many posts does a user need to be able to access marketplace?

16. Caesars macrumors regular

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

250 posts and must have been a member for at least 180 days. Looks like you should be fine.

Suggestion:
    Scroll up, click on Rules. The click on Marketplace Rules. Read thoroughly.

18. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I have exactly 250 posts (now 251) and can't see any Marketplace information.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Give it a little time, as the servers need to catch up to your new status. Sometimes this takes an hour maybe even two.