Where to sell NIB 13" 2.6/16/512 MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Heli0s, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Heli0s macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    About a month ago I purchased a 13" 2.6/16/512 online, only to find out there was a month long backorder. Being somewhat impatient and needing a new computer for work I ended up buying a 15" 2.3/16/512 with the intention of returning it when my 13" finally arrived. After using the larger computer for a few weeks I have grown to appreciate the larger form factor, and don't notice a substantial decrease in portability - one of the big reasons I wanted to stick with the 13" in the first place. After finally receiving the 13" a couple days ago and using the two computers side by side I have decided to keep the 15 and sell the 13. I know there is still a 2-3 week backorder or 13" MBPs with 16gb RAM, so I am hoping to be able to sell the computer for near retail, but am unsure where the best place to list it for sale would be. Ebay would charge over $200 in fees if I were to list it there, and forums like this one don't seem to have very popular B/S/T sections. Any advise on where I could sell this thing off for as close to what I paid as possible? The computer has been used less than 3 hours total and is completely flawless. I have ALL the original packaging, and haven't even unboxed the cables or documentation.

Just to get this out of the way, I would rather resell the computer than return it because I paid with a credit card and earned ~10,000 miles for the purchase, which I wouldn't receive if returned.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

So the 10K miles is worth a couple hundred bucks to you? Because at this point you are selling a used computer. If you were willing to send back the used 15" when the 13" arrived, why aren't you willing to do the same with the 13"? Weren't you planning on losing the miles off of the 15"?

Edit: And there actually is a marketplace here these forums, but in order to stem people being ripped off, you can only post to it after you have been a member for 3-6 months and 250 posts (or something like that). They don't want someone creating a brand new account, posting about some "hot deal", getting the cash from it and then never sending the item.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you don't want to fuss with eBay, probably Craigslist is your best option to get the max return for it.

4. Heli0s thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. The miles were for a promotion if bought through the online Apple store during a specific time period. The 15" was bought at Best Buy, and didn't qualify for the 5 miles/ $ promotion. I was expecting to return the 15" and so didn't bother going through the same process. As for the "used computer" thing - I get your point, but as the computer is practically brand new and there is a current ~3 week backorder for this specific model, I am expecting to be able to sell it for close to what I paid. If it turns out I couldn't get close to that price I have until Jan 15 to return it to the Apple store for a refund.