Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjfcpa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
I've got a couple of older MBP's (some not so old) that I want to sell. Is it better to try and sell locally (Craigslist) or use the online services (Gazelle)?

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I've got a couple of older MBP's (some not so old) that I want to sell. Is it better to try and sell locally (Craigslist) or use the online services (Gazelle)?

Why not both and take the best offer? I shopped both craigslist and eBay when looking for my [used] MBP; bought it on eBay.

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
eBay (if you're relatively careful), Amazon, and forums where you have a good reputation, the buyer has a good reputation, and overall a forum that you trust.

Places not to sell, Craigslist, Craigslist, and Craigslist.

As for Gazelle, I can't comment as I'm not in the US; other's opinions would be better.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

When I have something to sell I often post it on my Facebook page. Costs nothing and you know the people you are dealing with.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Places not to sell, Craigslist, Craigslist, and Craigslist.

As for Gazelle, I can't comment as I'm not in the US; other's opinions would be better.

Wait, if you're not in the US, how are you commenting on Craigslist? I might be wrong, but isn't it a US-only service? Even if it's not, you could hardly use your experiences from CL in another country to judge how it would go in the US.

I've bought a few things off CL before, and it always went smoothly. I've gotten a universal remote, my MBP, a 42" LED LCD TV, and an excellent bass guitar. All have gone smoothly. I did have a couple sales that I dropped because they seemed suspicious. Use common sense and you'll be perfectly fine.

hotgrease

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
I've bought at least 5 MBPs off of CL and they have all been fine. I've also sold that many on CL. The only bad part about it is that everyone wants to haggle at the last second. But if you're selling at a good price then you would have other offers/a stronger argument that the price is fair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.