Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
Hey guys, while browsing Best Buy I saw an open box iPad 16gb WiFi for sale, couldn't help myself and picked it up at 10% off. Off the bat, all the iPad's shrink sleeves for the iPad, charger, and cable were gone. But fwiw, the iPad is perfect, even better than the one I initially bought. Anyway, I went to check the receipt and the product has already been registered for warranty. Where do I contact Apple to update the information for the warranty ands send them a scan of my receipt? Or should I just call them? I tried registering the product, but it did not give me an option to submit verification.

cruzerg

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
Just call AppleCare

Hey guys, while browsing Best Buy I saw an open box iPad 16gb WiFi for sale, couldn't help myself and picked it up at 10% off. Off the bat, all the iPad's shrink sleeves for the iPad, charger, and cable were gone. But fwiw, the iPad is perfect, even better than the one I initially bought. Anyway, I went to check the receipt and the product has already been registered for warranty. Where do I contact Apple to update the information for the warranty ands send them a scan of my receipt? Or should I just call them? I tried registering the product, but it did not give me an option to submit verification.

I did the same thing. Bought an open box new iPad, got home called applecare and purchased it. I called before I bought it too just in case. Wanted to make sure I could add applecare before I bought it.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
Call 1800myapple

Let them know your problem they should help you out.

I did the same thing. Bought an open box new iPad, got home called applecare and purchased it. I called before I bought it too just in case. Wanted to make sure I could add applecare before I bought it.

That sounds great, I will give them a call tomorrow. I just looked closer, and there is one small scratch on the screen but it is hardly noticeable, and not on the screen but on the black part of iPad. No complaints, I saved $50.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
You don't have to call them to register anything. You don't even need a receipt. They go by the serial number. The warranty is effective the first date the ORIGINAL owner activated it or connected it to iTunes for the first time. You basically bought a "used" (albeit only 1-3 weeks) iPad and your warranty starts from the initial purchasers connection to iTunes not from the day Best Buy sold it for a second time. Think of it as the same as buying off eBay except it was from the "returned merchandise" section of Best Buy.

"Opened box" = is a fancy term for "returned by another customer" and not "we opened a bunch of boxes so we can sell them for 10% less."

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
You don't have to call them to register anything. You don't even need a receipt. They go by the serial number. The warranty is effective the first date the ORIGINAL owner activated it or connected it to iTunes for the first time. You basically bought a "used" (albeit only 1-3 weeks) iPad and your warranty starts from the initial purchasers connection to iTunes not from the day Best Buy sold it for a second time. Think of it as the same as buying off eBay except it was from the "returned merchandise" section of Best Buy.

"Opened box" = is a fancy term for "returned by another customer" and not "we opened a bunch of boxes so we can sell them for 10% less."

I am well aware of the term, none the less I still got a nice iPad. And the members before we're telling me I could still update it regardless. As long as I have the new purchase receipt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.