Where to start for a TOTAL newbee. HTML5?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by blinkie, Aug 11, 2011.

1. blinkie macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2007
    I'm keen to write my own webpage. But I've never done anything like it before. It's seems like a good opportunity to learn some code. Am I wise to want to jump in at HTML5? I basically want to produce a simple(?) page with some images, garish design, and some imbedding. I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right way. Somewhere to start and learn.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    Congrats! You've learned HTML5!

Though in honesty, the absolute best way is view the source on sites and try to mimic them. And stay away from W3Schools.

Writing webpages are more or less trial and error until you build up a knowledge of browser bugs (like IE7's z-index issue).

Also as long as you remember <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8"> you'll never need to mess with box model issues.
  3. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2007
    Thanks 7on.
    I spoke to a clever friend about this a few hours ago. He said he'd put together a simple page with notations to learn from. That seems like a pretty good way forward to me. He suggested I start with TextWrangler.
    Thanks again.
    p.s. what's up with w3schools?
  4. Darth.Titan, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'll answer for 7on because I was confused when I read his comment as well. You see, "back in the day" my instructors were always very keen on W3Schools and I've recommended them myself in the past.

However after doing a bit of searching on the subject I came across this site and I was amazed with the indisputable complaints they make against W3Schools. It might be a bit over your head as a beginner, but it boils down to this:

To quote the site I linked:
    That just seems disingenuous to me. In addition to misrepresenting themselves, their site also contains far too many instances of incorrect information and bad practices. Their HTML 5 knowledge seems especially erroneous. The devil is in the details.

I'll not be referring anyone to that site anymore. Maybe try Google's HTML, CSS, and Javascript from the Ground Up
  5. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2007
    Thanks Darth.Titan,
    There is a lot going over my head at the moment. The Google Code University looks useful.
  6. -pete- macrumors member

Apr 20, 2011
    You should really learn regular HTML and CSS first, I have had great success with tutorials from Lynda.com, you have to pay for them but they are brilliant at getting the basics down. There are separate HTML5 tutorials you can take later which will explain the differences and take you deeper into it.

I wouldn't learn the fancy stuff until you get the hang on the basics :D