Where to start learning how to create video effects?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jackc, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Noob question: I'm interested in learning how to create video, not with actual filming, but just learning to create some basic animation effects and how to put a video together. For example, for making an educational video with some cool visual effects.

Don't really know where to begin. Any help appreciated.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You don't say what you are using, but iMovie is good to start with. Take some still photographs...Say 100 or so. Open iMovie, import the stills, choose title, and music and generally play with it...FCP and FCPX are not good places to start.

PM if you want further information.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

With what software?
    Motion is 50 bucks, After Effects 700...

4. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

Not sure what software, I have iMovie but never learned to use it. I'd be willing to buy software, but don't need pro level.

I'm thinking not so much putting a slideshow together, but to start with something basic like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kl28hmhin0

5. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

For something like the prime number video that you posted, iMovie won't cut it. I would say your cheapest option is Motion, in which can do keyframe animation. Further than that, I don't know anything about Motion because I've never used it.

For that particular one, you would need some images with alpha (transparency) channels, a green screen (for when the hand grabs the lock) and some stock explosion footage (try this: http://www.detonationfilms.com/free_stuff.htm).

Beyond that, a lot of Googling and thread posts to figure out what you're doing.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The OP is asking for a starting point. I would say that iMovie with easy import would be the way to start?

7. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

True, but at it's core, iMovie is a video editing program, not so much an animation program. It's a good place to get his feet wet, but motion would likely be the most affordable next step for a program with more flexibility IMO.

8. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

Thanks, I didn't necessarily want to reproduce everything there, such as the hand footage, but just to give an idea of what I was thinking of.

9. cgbier macrumors 6502a

For a project like the one in the linked video you can use Motion. Make short clips and import them into iMovie to edit them together. For that part with the hand, you don't necessarily need a green screen and do chroma keying. It works already with a black background. You just have to look out with your lighting.

Good tutorials for Motion are for free on the Holy Cow, Very good tutorials are available from the folks on Rippletraining.

10. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I got started by going to film school. While I was there, I also built my own edit system and started tinkering with effects and such. I had been using Photoshop for years, and struggled with Illustrator as well. I soon realized that I should get formal training in Illustrator, and that class was taught by one of the developers for Illustrator. That class flipped my world over.

Over time, I just kept working on more and more ideas and projects until today. I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle between idiot and genius with video effects. :p I am still learning more every day.

One thing I'll say about things like After Effects... if you take too much time off between projects, you start forgetting skills. The best ones are those who use it every day.

11. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

12. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I really like the tutorials on videocopilot.net.

So if you want to learn cool effects with After Effects, you should check those tutorials out. He also has a basic training series.

13. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Love videopilot too. Good call.

14. sbrage2000 macrumors member

If you're willing to spend $25/mo, lynda.com has video tutorials for practically all creative software. Tutorials are generally good, short and to the point. I am a huge fan of video copilot too, but sometimes Andrew can get a little long-winded and you have to sift through a lot of "old dad jokes" to get to the point :)