Where to Start?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by iLikeMySelf, Sep 1, 2010.

1. iLikeMySelf macrumors member

Hello,
    So I have this really good idea of a game that has never been done before. I want to start developing the app but I don't know where to start. I have the designs in paper.
    I would like to learn coding and modeling 3D for iPhone.What books/DVD should I buy for iPhone game development? I bought Lynda iPhone SDK training but it was not good.
    I know this will take months or a year but I want to give it a go. ;)
    If it helps, I know how to use Flash and Photoshop well but Xcode is much more difficult to start.
    Thanks in advance.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What didn't you like about the Lynda iPhone SDK training? I went through it and the iPad and thought it was very well done.

Do you have any coding experience?

You might also check the guides and stickies in this forum.

3. iLikeMySelf thread starter macrumors member

Well, the tutorials where good, but when I finished them I hadn't learned almost anything. I wanted to understand the language (obviously not by just watching the videos) and I did not.

I know how to code in ActionScript.
    Thanks silentPanda

Which is the language used to code games? Cocoa or Objective-C? or it depends if the game is in 3D or 2D?

4. Sykte macrumors regular

When learning almost any programming language the most important thing would be reading comprehension. You can start by reading the forum header section called Mac Guides. A quick search will also bring up 1,000 post similar to this. I'm not trying to come off strong but if you really want to learn how to create a game then be ready to put in alot of effort.

5. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

Well, if you don't know Objective-C, that should be the first thing you learn. If you don't know the language, you can't code in it.

I recommend Learn Objective-C on the Mac to learn the language. It has nothing to do with iPhone programming (and all code examples are just simple command line utilities), but just teaches you everything you need to know about Objective-C.

I've also read Beginning iPhone Development, and it's also good to start you off after you know the language and then need to learn iPhone specific stuff.

They also have 2 more books in the series, More iPhone Development and Beginning iPhone Games Development that I did not read yet.