Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
If you're in such an area, consider taking in-person classes too. Someone I knew got into iOS programming by taking a week-long course.

Another discussion is to pick ObjC or Swift. Yet another question is what kind of programming do you want to do. Games vs other. Games, I would go with Unity. Other, I would go with ObjC.

Another nice plus with Unity is I hear all of their tools/modules to port to Android, Windows Phone, and iOS are now free. If you're going to make games, may as well cover as many platforms as possible to get as much exposure and $$ as possible without putting excessive extra work into it.

So MS wants over $400 to join up? Wow, no wonder they are having problems. Given that and the cost of the test device, they are shooting themselves in the foot (not the 1st time).

Apple makes a better PC OS and made if free, they have the lions share of the market when compared to MS and they charge less.

Apple has native compiled apps, faster mobile OS, excellent security and simple quality product line. hmmmmm...

MS needs to wake up pretty quick here.
Worth noting, it's $100 per year to be an Apple dev. If you don't already have access to an OSX environment, the cheapest MacBook that can handle iOS programming is about $500. Nothing too steep, but it's certainly an investment of sorts.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
If you're in such an area, consider taking in-person classes too. Someone I knew got into iOS programming by taking a week-long course.

Another nice plus with Unity is I hear all of their tools/modules to port to Android, Windows Phone, and iOS are now free. If you're going to make games, may as well cover as many platforms as possible to get as much exposure and $$ as possible without putting excessive extra work into it.

Worth noting, it's $100 per year to be an Apple dev. If you don't already have access to an OSX environment, the cheapest MacBook that can handle iOS programming is about $500. Nothing too steep, but it's certainly an investment of sorts.

That does raise an interesting point, you can dev for MS without having to buy an expensive computer, most have a Windows PC already. I still think MS needs to think about their approach to this market. They can't come in like they have a great position, they need to play catch-up, and do so very quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.