Where to store iPhone during school?

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
I am getting an iPhone soon, the fund is almost complete:D Now my major dilema is not just what color to get, its where to store my phone during the day. If I keep it in my locker and the lock breaks or I don't shut it all the way, it will be stolen.

If i keep it in my pocket and my school catches me, they will keep it until one of my parents shows up to get it with me. I know the stupidest policy......, also if it falls out and cracks or gets stolen, I am screwed. I have no idea what to do? This will be my first true good cell phone. I am upgrading from this :eek:

Attachments

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
My school is jesuit, and we have have to wear khakis, the pockets are loose and i am afraid it will slide out when I sit a certain way any other ideas not really sure if being jesuit has to do with anything but w/e

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Put it in your front pocket and don't mess with it.
If it rings or vibrates, he could be busted. So he has three options here:

1. Keep it in front pocket but keep it powered off during the school day
2. Keep it in locker -- also powered off. Odds of lock breaking is honestly pretty small. I wouldn't sweat that one.
3. Leave it at home.

It's possible to turn off ringtones and whatnot, but what if you forget when you're really tired or stressing over a major test (or over girlfriend woes)? So the safer option is to either leave it home or if you must take it to school, turn it off to reduce risk of being busted, and then turn it back on after school.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Get a case, and put it on your belt? How about put it in your backpack? (If you carry one). What do the other students do?
I planned on getting the ZAGG case, as I have it on my MBP and really like it. And we aren't allowed to carry backpacks. Other kids just keep them in their pockets but the buttons get pushed and then the phone makes noises etc and they sometimes lose them

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
The safest place would probably be at home while you're at school if your school has a policy against it. On the other hand, when I was in grade school I would keep my phone in my pocket, on silent, and not take it out unless I was sure I wouldn't get caught.

Of course I was using this:

So I think the iPhone will be easier.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I planned on getting the ZAGG case, as I have it on my MBP and really like it. And we aren't allowed to carry backpacks. Other kids just keep them in their pockets but the buttons get pushed and then the phone makes noises etc and they sometimes lose them
Trust me, you won't have to worry about that with the iPhone.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
If it rings or vibrates, he could be busted. So he has three options here:

1. Keep it in front pocket but keep it powered off during the school day
2. Keep it in locker -- also powered off. Odds of lock breaking is honestly pretty small. I wouldn't sweat that one.
3. Leave it at home.

It's possible to turn off ringtones and whatnot, but what if you forget when you're really tired or stressing over a major test (or over girlfriend woes)? So the safer option is to either leave it home or if you must take it to school, turn it off to reduce risk of being busted, and then turn it back on after school.
Well
1.That makes sense, I kinda like the idea of browsing MR when in biology,
2.My fear about the lock is me not fully locking it or it just screws up, that would happen to me.
3.I need it at school beacuse I commute and for keeping in touch with others

And its a all boys school so not to many girlfriend woes:(

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Well
1.That makes sense, I kinda like the idea of browsing MR when in biology,
2.My fear about the lock is me not fully locking it or it just screws up, that would happen to me.
3.I need it at school beacuse I commute and for keeping in touch with others

And its a all boys school so not to many girlfriend woes:(
dont do 1 for heavens sake

if you do, youre just asking to get it taken away

seriously....

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Do you think Student Affairs would store it for me during the day? I cant really explain what Student Affairs is so...... And what are the chances of them going threw it

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Well, I just keep mine in my front pocket.
I turn it off before school, and turn it on after. Unless I'm feeling like I can get away with doing something on it in class, which then I put it on silent mode.

But then again, I just have to have it out of sight and turned off during the school day, so I can keep it in my pocket.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I went to a school with a similar policy. Set a passcode, set it to unlock after 10 incorrect entries, and put it on silent with vibrate off. Put it in your pocket. Then, if you have MobileMe, do a remote wipe if someone steals it from you or if it falls out.

Xapphire13

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
South Australia
If your not going to use it during they day due to fear it will be taken away, whats the point in bringing it to school? Do you really need it with you?

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Hows-a-bout ya turn it off, then you don't have anything to worry about. When teachers take things like cell phones it means there is not need to have them in school.

Back in my high school days we had pagers that vibrated loudly, so it was shut off. In college we were allowed to have phones so we just turned them on silent.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
My school is jesuit, and we have have to wear khakis, the pockets are loose and i am afraid it will slide out when I sit a certain way any other ideas not really sure if being jesuit has to do with anything but w/e
Get out of there while you still can, man.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Back in my days we weren't aloud phones but the teachers could not do anything about. I used to carry my then 3315 in my pocket on vibrate at all times, and if they tried to take the phone from me i wouldn't have allowed it. I know my friend didn't they through all sorts of punishment at him but he never caved in.

There was no way i was leaving it in my bag at all.