Where to store iTunes purchased movie files?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jonesjxd, Dec 2, 2014.

1. jonesjxd macrumors newbie

I'm starting the process of converting over to buying movies on iTunes as opposed to blu-ray, but I've found out how much space those downloaded files take on my Macbook's 500gb HD. I guess my first question would be, why do I even have to download the files to begin with instead of just streaming them from iCloud. Seems like that can't happen. So where should I store these things where they're accessible without plugging an External Hard drive and locating a file anytime I want to watch a movie on my laptop? I've read that Airport Time Capsule isn't the best option when it comes to storing files, it's more for the Time Machine backups. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

3. octothorpe8 macrumors 6502

Just delete it when you're done watching it. You'll still be able to download another copy of it right from iTunes later if you want to watch again.

I personally like the iTunes method of having you download it first because it gives you a total buffer against streaming issues because you've already got the whole file locally.

Otherwise, yeah, do what a lot of people do and pick up an external drive to use for iTunes media. At this point you can get a 1TB drive for around $50-60. It's kind of a non-issue.

4. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

This can be risky. If Apple or the developer removes the content from iTunes, you're out of luck. This can even happen when they re-release or repackage it. I've read many posts where the user was sad that they can no longer download music, media, or apps that have been removed. Best bet is to keep your own copy.

5. rigormortis, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

look. i can be wrong about tv shows or movies.

i heard you have to back up books for sure. always back up books

but as far as apps go. once you purchase something it is yours forever. even if apple pulls it, it is still on iCloud for you to downlaod you feel like it

i have both versions of vlc, ultimate warrior's sound board, flappy bird, umm.. apple's dead 12 days of gifts app , gensystek benchmark lite, system lite by app home in iCloud and everyone of those i believe were pulled.

if apple's pulls an app from the store, it just means new customers can't purchase it. it does not mean purchasers cannot download it. if you purchase an app it stays on iCloud.com for you to download anytime you feel like it.

the last time i heard of anything being forcefully removed was amazon.

yes. i can see how your mileage can vary and their might be something that you can't get. but that has not been my expiernce.

funny how their were two sound board apps for tv's the ultimate warrior, and i guess he claimed copyright on his grunts and ranting and successfully had both apps pulled the same week

im not a big media buyer so maybe its true about media not being able to be downloaded again

i do sync and transfer everthing. though. so I'm not saying i trust the app store 100 %

6. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I bought a Drobo for mine, Now, its almost full..

problem is it was MUCH cheaper to just buy cheap DvDs, rip them via ivi PRO (not the appstore version, it doesn't support DVD ripping but the paid for self install version does)

I now have a massive library of properly tagged, artworked, movies and tv shows, and, i have actually deleted some of my purchased movies and re-ripped them from DVD because the quality on the iTunes stuff, even the HD stuff, is not as good as a good DVD Rip.

Most noticeable was my House M.D. series.. bought on iTunes over the years as season passes, i ripped season 1 of the DVD set and oh my, the quality of sound and picture was FAR better than the iTunes version.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

Buy a bigger hard drive.

Storage is cheap.

8. octothorpe8 macrumors 6502

Ah, good to know. I don't actually purchase a lot of movies from iTunes -- usually just rent them.

And yeah, storage space is so cheap now there's just no reason to not keep stuff saved somewhere.

----------

Careful. Burned discs are dye-based and definitely not archival.

9. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

I don't believe he's putting the movies and tv shows back onto the discs. He's making digital copies of the discs he owns. Probably keeping everything backed up on an external too. But he isn't burning discs of these copies.

10. octothorpe8 macrumors 6502

Ah, right you are. I skimmed too fast there.

I'm surprised at iTunes Store having crappier versions of this stuff than the DVDs. We're unfortunately still at a point where digitized stuff is all over the map, quality-wise. I've come across some stinkers on Netflix, for sure.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Always back up your purchases. As was mentioned earlier, they can get removed without warning.

I would purchase an external drive (USB) or a NAS to store your iTunes library. You can get a WD 2 TB passport for Mac for $99.00.

I remove the DRM from my purchases, load them on my WD MyCloud 3 TB NAS, and then I can stream any movie I want at any time, without having to worry about keeping a close eye on my monthly Comcast cap.

12. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I'm saying that if you delete it from your iPhone and iTunes and it's not in the App Store, you're out of luck unless you have a backup. I have that 12 Days app too but if I remove it from the phone and iTunes, there is no where to re-download it from.

13. rigormortis, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

rigormortis

thats not true.
    but you should still backup everything to itunes anyway like you said

if i delete "flappy bird" or "ultimate warrior" from my iPhone, i do not need itunes to get it. all you do is :

grab iphone
    click on app store
    click on updates
    click on purchased
    there are two tabs
    one is ALL and one is Not on this iPhone
    click on Not on this iPhone

every single purchase you ever made is on that page. even if its removed. there is still a download link

it has always been this way. (unless someone sued apple!!!! lol)
    for the heck of it i turned off wifi to make sure i wasn't connected to itunes and repeated the same steps and sure enough i was still able to download "iPhone 4 case program" from apple.

there might be some stuff like books or media that you can no longer get, once they are removed from the store. but as far as apps go, once you pay for the app even $0.00 that app belongs to you and you can always get your app from the app store.

if the app cannot be retrieved from the app store because the link will not show up, it is most likely until proven otherwise , that it is not compatible with your device.

for example.
    flashlight by ihandy will not show up on an iPad, because the iPad does not have a light

here is a screen cap of my iPhone 6+ running the iPhone 4 case program. i did not use itunes to restore my purchase.

Attached Files:

14. rigormortis, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

rigormortis

like i said, i am not a big media buyer.
    i looked in the itunes store on my iphone for anything that might of looked like it is no longer in the itunes store and i think i found one tv show that i can still get because i purchased it.

Dr. Danger
    season 2, 2007
    10/17/2007
    Yemen episode 1
    in his trip through Yemen, Dr. Danger visits the capital city ....

i went to the itunes store, and i don't see that in the store anymore

i even searched for bob arnot, and i see nothing on itunes store for this person that is a tv show

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

16. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

oh i thought of something else worth mentioning.

itunes and iPhone has a new feature, where if you purchase something it will download to your phone and automatically download to your iTunes library

but if you don't have that on, and you just rely on backing up your iPhone , it may not be placing these purchases with your backups.

you should click on transfer purhases, with itunes 12, you click on file, device, transfer purchases

this forces itunes to take anything you bought , including app updates and transfer them to itunes.

remember : syncing is only one way. it is only designed to take stuff from your library and place it on your iPhone. it does not work the other way

backups do not contain anything that is synced to the device.

you can back up to any computer you want
    but you can only sync to one library at a time

try it sometime. try syncing like you usually do. and then click on "transfer purchases" and see how much more stuff it copies

17. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Thanks for taking the time to straighten me out. I tested this with the 12 Days app and it seems to work. And we agree that back ups are always a good idea.

Cheers!

18. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Is there a way to purchase media from iTunes but be able to play them on non-Apple device/software?

is this illegal?

19. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

tv shows, movies . I think they need apple hardware.

music as far as i know is now DRM free. they will play on anything

anything will play in itunes i guess.

itunes match is the greatest thing in the world you pay $25 a year and you can trade in your entire mp3 library and download 25,000 music tracks from the itunes store and keep those copies forever, and erase all your shoddy mp3s
    you collected over the year. and anything you ever bought from itunes can upgraded to DRM free music. plus it gives you itunes radio commercial free and lets you play your music over the net

people with large music libraries that do not subscribe to itunes match are really missing out

20. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

That's for sure. I was pleasantly surprised when iTunes took some of my older digital copies and replaced them with HD versions. I'd have to wait until I get home before I can confirm what they did that with. But I'm positive that 99% of the Disney movies I had were upgraded. Except for Iron Man 2, but I'd have to go back and look again.