Where to trade cmbp for mba?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattbaar26, Apr 11, 2013.

1. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I got a cmbp in February and now I want to trade for a macbook air. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can do this? No hits on craigslist yet and I have had an ad up for about 2 weeks. If anyone is interested or can point me in the right direction let me know! I would prefer not to do eBay because then I have to deal with eBay taking their cut.

2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

your cmbp is on the verge of extinction and allot of people are moving on to airs and retinas if someone did want to switch i think it would be a 2010 one or maybe a 2011 air you could try selling your cmbp in the ballpark of 900 cut your losses and and get a macbook air new

3. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

I would stay with the cMBP Retinas and AIR don't have anything compared to what the classic does. A high resolution screen and thinner profile and less ports doesn't signify a better user experience. External devices don't count you cant always take them with you. A 128GB or 256GB SSD might be fast but the space it has to offer its too low, you can still upgrade your cMBP to a better harddrive or SSD if you desire that.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Err, yes. The first two actually do signify a better user experience. You only lose 1 USB port and an Ethernet slot, which is probably irrelevant to most users given the emergence of high speed wireless connections. The only plus to the cmbp is that you can still upgrade it by yourself. I'd only ever seriously suggest holding on to it if its a 17" HRAG quad-core. As that is a beautiful machine and they're as rare as hens' teeth.

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

Which cMBP is it op?

I think the 13" may be a little difficult and you'll have to get creative, but if it's the 15" I don't think you'll have problems.

6. David58117, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

David58117 macrumors 65816

Don't forgot the CD drive. Some of us born before the 1990s/2000's have huge CD collections, and burning them all in suitable quality isn't an option. Not having to deal with my super drive on my laptop is a nice bonus.

Also, don't forget the price. Oh, and the removable battery. But I'm planning to keep this for probably 3-5 years. A quadcore i7 with 16 gigs of RAM should be fine for my uses (audio recording) for quite awhile, I believe.

Anyway, I've never once thought my user experience was hindered because I lacked retina, or because the cMBP was slightly thicker/heavier.

And I came from a MBA, considered the rMBP, then pounced on a 15 cMBP which I found for a great price.

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

But if you read what I said, I didn't say the Classic made for a bad user experience, quite the opposite, and as I said, I loved the 17" I owned. I said in my experience that having the retina display and thinner profile made for a better experience overall, which another poster seemed to disagree with.

His point about USB ports is fair enough, but I can carry a multi-USB adaptor if I'm really going to lugging the whole show in on the road.

The price difference also isn't that great when you factor in the SSD and panel tech. You also indicated that you have a quad-core pro, so it actually doesn't have a user-serviceable battery, the only difference is that it isn't glued in.

Incidentally, I am quite pre-1990s...

8. David58117 macrumors 65816

The battery is user replaceable on the 15 cMBP.. In fact I just reset the pram/smc and had to disconnect it during one of the steps. I saw the screws, replacing it would of been easy.

The pricing depends on where you buy the extra hardware, and what exactly you buy.

I paid 1488 for the base configuration, and found the ram for around $100. So let's say I'm about 1600 in. I notice crucial has a 480gb ssd for 400. I may eventually buy that, but I'm assuming prices will decrease / a sale will occur.

But let's say I buy it now - I'm 2000 in.

How much is a retina 15" with 16gigs ram, 500gb hard drive and 480gb ssd?

I really just do audio recording, that configuration is much more valuable than a retina..

9. IlikeMacsSoMuch, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

You got the 13 inches or the 15 inches?

I have the 2012 15 inches cmbp and I bought the 2012 13 inches mba for my wife, it is nice but a lot less powerful than the cmbp. If you have the 15 inches I honestly don't understand why you would want to trade, but you could put an add for your laptop and sell it. Got it in february? So I assume it is under warranty, yes? You should get at least 1500$ for it, maybe more depending on your configuration.

And if you trade it for a MBA, trade it for a new one under warranty, anything else you'll get screwed.

But I would keep it, it is by far the best Macbook pro because it is versatile.

10. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

11. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I think some Mac retailers may take your machine in a trade in, but they won't give you your machine's real street value. I suggest you sell it on Ebay, Craiglist or similar.