Where was Scott Forstall or Jony Ive yesterday?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ChrisTX, Mar 8, 2012.

1. ChrisTX, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I was a little surprised that neither of these 2 made an appearance yesterday either in person or in video. Moreso Scott than Jony but still surprised none the less. Any thoughts on this?

2. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Designing the new iTV and "New" iPhone. But seriously I don't know, I wish Ive would have introduced the new iPad.

3. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Scott is a software guy.

No point getting him up to explain the new iPhone lock screen camera shortcut. And I don't know how good is Japanese is so he wouldn't be able to show off Japanese Siri.

Johnny has only done one or two bits at keynotes, and it makes for uncomfortable viewing. He is a genius, don't get me wrong, but he isn't a marketing guy. He's a hardware guy and there wasn't any new hardware to talk about either.

Sure they could have got Scott to talk about iPhoto, but the guy they got who was obviously more involved with it did a great job I thought.

6. Lukeyy19, Mar 8, 2012

Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

lol did Ive get autocorrected?

Scott Forstall does iOS presentations, there wasn't much to talk about on that front, and i don't recall seeing Jony Ive in a keynote since 2008 apart from in a FaceTime call with Steve. And as he talks about design, and the new iPad is pretty much the same design as the 2nd he had nothing to talk about either.

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

8. psonice macrumors 6502a

Jony I've what?! I hate these things, I've still not found out what happened to that guy who accidentally the bottle!

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why would Ive speak when the device is basically the same form factor?

Why would Forstall speak when iOS was simply a mention in the keynote?

10. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

scott = new iOS software
    John = new iOS hardware design

11. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

As many have pointed out, Scott is only around for big software stuff... Yesterday, I don't think more than 5 - 10 minutes were spent talking about software.

We can expect him hopefully in the next iPhone presentation :) If they decide to unveil iOS 6 then...

As for Jony, I only recall seeing him in one keynote, I think it was one where he spoke about the new unibody casing for the Macbook... Not 100% sure though, but it was a few years ago, and tbh it was just a bit awkward. He wasn't very good at it. He's good in the videos though, captivating with his british accent :p

12. Moonjumper, Mar 8, 2012

Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I'm surprised there wasn't a clip of Jony talking about the new screen and the work that went into it. I guess they want to give the people who did do the presentation to have more time to connect with the audience. Maybe their charisma will show through as they get more comfortable on stage.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This was Cook's time to (try to) shine. He did a decent job. I am sure we'll see the other guys in the future, but this being the biggest event since... well, since you know what, I think it was appropriate Tim take the lion's share of the spotlight.

14. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Haha good call, auto correct on the iPad is great isn't it? :D

15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I saw picture on one of the liveblogs (sorry, can't remember which) before the presentation started that showed Scott Forstall standing in a group with Phil Schiller, Eddie Cue, and a couple other people. So he was there, but as has been said, I think he's usually on stage to talk about iOS itself, and other than the very minor 5.1 update, there wasn't anything to say on that front yesterday. I'm sure we'll see him when iOS 6 is announced.