Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Yes. Jobs wasn't CEO until 2000. He was in charge of the Macintosh division until he was fired by Scully, who was Apple's CEO at the time. Jobs returned in 1997 as an advisor, then became an interim CEO until he officially dropped the 'interim' bit from his position in 2000.

Jobs retired from his CEO position in 2011.

sliceoftoast

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
In a Toaster
... announced the original Macintosh:
Parents hadn't even met each other, so i didn't even exist

... resigned as CEO:
I can't remember, possibly at work / sleeping

...died:
Sleeping, woke up to several txt messages

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
... announced the original Macintosh:
not born yet

... resigned as CEO:
I honestly can't remember

...died:
At home. I got a text from a friend and didn't believe it. Went to Yahoo and saw the breaking news banner on my iPhone and took the attached screenshot.
I turned on the TV and waited for the news to interrupt one of the primetime shows and sure enough it did.

I wonder what happened to those scuba divers.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
1) Exploring Mars
2) Fighting zombies
3) Inventing time travel in 1924

-t

Brilliant.

Can't remember x3

While I love all things Apple, these events didn't rise to the occasion of searing a day into my memory like, for example 9/11 did. Sorry.

Well said.

Wasn't born. Can't remember. Can't remember.

same I think. Was it introduced in 84? if so, yea, not born

If so
1) not born
2) DKDC
3) DKDC

Now ask me about 9/11 or the oklahoma city bombings or substantial news, I'd have a different answer;)

I quoted these posts because they reflect my own views to a large extent. I respect what the late Mr Jobs achieved, like the products he played a role in designing, and greatly admire the transformational role he played in revolutionising technology, communication and the consumption of information. However - and it is a big however - I do not subscribe to the adulation - or cult like fervour - in which the last Mr Jobs seems to be held in some quarters on these fora.

Anyway, to the OP: Re questions Nos 1 & 2, yes, of course I was born, and had been for quite a while, but they made no impact on me whatsoever at the time.

Re No 3, well, because I was already a member of this forum, and had developed an interest in technology, and the evolution of same, and because I had also 'switched', some years earlier to Apple products, I kept an eye on what was happening, the same as I would with any other news story where the content was of interest to me.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
announced the original Macintosh
Senior year in high school. It was a Tuesday, I'm sure I was in school.

resigned as CEO
I was at work. Our IT guy is a true Mac Guru and he told me.

died
Driving home. I had almost made it home when it came on the radio news.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Two years old, last winter in East Rochester, we moved to a small town a few months later. I don't remember it.

Not sure about his stepping down. Probably sitting in front of my computer, reading the news of the day. Would have been using my 2.33Ghz MacBook Pro.

Definitely using my computer, this time a 17" unibody, that has since **** itself and won't turn on. It was the evening, I had a cu of herb tea, and mum wa on the phone w grandmere in the other room (I was living home to cut expenses at the time).

None of these moments had any real impact on my life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.