Where were you when ... was announced?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by QEII Student IT, Feb 8, 2010.

1. QEII Student IT macrumors regular

QEII Student IT

Where were you when you first heard about the launch of things like the iPhone or the iMac? I just thought of this because I was watching a live feed of the iPad keynote whilst replacing the hard drive in my iBook G4.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Umm, this isn't the Kennedy assassination or the Columbia disaster. I don't remember because it just wasn't that important.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I don't remember ... being announced. Is that really bad of me? :confused:

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I actually do remember what I was doing when the iPhone 3G was announced. I was moving into my first apartment. Of course, I don't remember that day because of the iPhone 3G announcement, but it was on the same day nonetheless.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

6. QEII Student IT thread starter macrumors regular

QEII Student IT

Sure it counts, although the Mac probably wasn't the highlight of your day!

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

+1... maybe it's just me but although I love the hype and am very excited about new Apple products, I just can't recall everywhere I've been when things were announced.

September 11, now I remember that.

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Also remember September 11, and who I was with at the time..

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

iPhone and iPad and every other new product in the past few years, at work. iMac, iPod, don't remember. The only interesting story is how I first heard about the Intel switch. I was on vacation in New York and didn't have a smartphone or laptop with me so I had no internet access; so this was how I first found out (and it came as a complete surprise to me, I stood there for a minute to make sure I was reading that right):

Attached Files:

10. Queso macrumors G4

I was in the pub having a quick after work pint with some colleagues, then I walked home. The iPad thing, just like the iPhone thing, isn't that big a deal to me.

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I've decided to schedule my most scandalous romantic trysts to coincide with Apple's keynotes and important product announcements. Where I was and what I was doing when an Apple product was announced might then be something actually worth remembering.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes...a iPad!!!!

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Does "on my computer watching MR Live" count?

14. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

+1

I remember the build up to the commercial and thinking that was really pretty cool.

Took me another bunch of years to become a Mac guy though...

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

That, sir, is a moment. Very cool :cool:

16. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I was at work....hiding from my boss when i heard about the iPad on my computer station...:D:D:D hehehe

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I hadn't been born when the first Mac was announced. Does that count for anything? :p

18. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

When the Mac was announced I was at about 33 weeks gestation. It was riveting.

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'd say it's pretty close - given how we know your affinity with Mac at such a young age :D I was two years old. I was more interested in a clean diaper and my Play School...

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

When iPhone was announced, I had already heard the rumors here so it was not a big deal when the actual product came out pretty much the way the rumors said it would be.

As much as iPod first seemed implausible, I also heard it here first, and I had no idea what a cash cow this product would be for Apple.

The iMac (blueberry) was something I chanced upon in a college bookstore and it blew my mind away.

The only official Apple announcement that came as something new to me in the last decade or more from Apple was when I saw the keynote when iTunes store was announced. This is either something the rumor forums didn't predict, or something written here that I simply didn't catch before the announcement. At first I thought people would not buy music if they could download it for free, as many people I know still do through other means besides Napster, but most of us are honest and are OK with using the iTunes store.

21. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I was at home walking down the stairs into our den and my dad was watching television...

I had no idea what was about to happen or that the memory would be seared into my brain for the rest of my life...

I stared at the screen with confusion, struggling to understand what was going on...

In a somber tone my dad said....

"Son..."

"What the hell is OJ doing in that truck?!?"

[​IMG]

I'll never... ever... ever... forget. :D

22. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I remember that moment. I remember being pissed, because I just wanted to watch a basketball game.

23. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I can remember what I was doing when the first Powerbook G4, first iMac G4 and the PowerMac G4 DA where released. Since I was at the 2001 and 2002 MacWorld expos.

At the 2001 expo I was disappointed to find out that though Mac OS X was Unix based it would not allow me to connect dummy terminals as I was hoping to replace my dads companies SCO Unix mainframe.:mad:

Though what interested me more at the 2002 expo was that Sinbad was there browsing around.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I really don't care where I was during any new computer product announcement.:rolleyes:

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I remember that well. I was watching the NBA Finals with the Knicks and Rockets. Was also on eWorld, Apple's online service that fizzled. Long story short, I provided commentary on the game to a bunch of people who could only watch the OJ chase. Apparently, the local NBC stations in NY and Houston were the only ones not to go to OJ live.

The next day, there was an article in several newspapers about how communication was changing with the Internet. The reporter was in that eWorld room and wrote a story.