Where will 32 bit apps go

Discussion in 'macOS' started by allan53, Apr 23, 2019.

1. allan53 macrumors member

allan53

when 10.15 comes out 32 bit apps will no longer open. Do you think the installer include an option to move all the apps to one folder? If so do you think the option will allow removal of prefs for those apps?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

They won't "go" anywhere.
    They will stay where they are, but won't run.

It will be up to YOU to remove them, manually.

The little app "AppCleaner" does a good job at doing this.
    https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

3. dwig macrumors 6502a

I agree with Fishrrman that this will be the likely sceneario, based on past Apple history with the end of PPC support.

It is possible, though I feel it's very very unlikely, that Apple will collect them for you during update and move them to a "unsupported" folder. Microsoft has done that in the past with "antique" apps that were known to cause problems, but doesn't do it as a general rule.

I feel the best approach is to leave apps in place, possibly tagging their icons as Apple did with the unsupported PPC apps, and disabling, but not deleting, any auto-start apps, drivers, and services that are no longer compatible.

4. allan53, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019

allan53 thread starter macrumors member

allan53

I agree that appcleaner does a great job but I would like to clean out apps like the ones shown here (from a system report) that are 32 bit from unknown developers
    [​IMG]