Where will you buy your iPhone from?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JNB, May 8, 2007.

?

Where will you buy the iPhone?

1. Apple Store in person

71 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Cingular Store in person

33 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. Apple Store online

32 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Cingular store online

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Pure play online (Amazon, eBay, etc.)

7 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. I have no freaking clue yet!

37 vote(s)
    19.9%
  1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I know this has been discussed as a side note on a few threads, but, do plan to buy at an Apple Store, a Cingular Store, or online (Apple or Cingular)?

(Of course, this assumes all these methods will be made available)

2. artalliance macrumors 6502

Apple Store, in Portland. No sales tax and really nice staff.

3. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

If available, I plan on buying my Apple iPhone at my local Apple Store in person.

4. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

Now that you mention it, I have to be in Portland in July. Hmm...

Keep Portland Weird!!

5. jwa276 macrumors regular

jwa276

Apple store in person at Easton Town Center in Columbus, OH :)

6. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

cingular store

I'm going to have to go to a Cingular store. The closest apple store is 2.5 hours away at Lenox Square in Atlanta. But it depends on who gets it first. If it comes out at Apple stores first, then I am going to make the trip. But if it comes at Cingular stores and Apple stores at same time, I'm going to have to save that gas money and buy at the local store. Figure I will most likely get one there, if there is a supply problem, because not too many people in my area are Cingular.

7. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

Order from the Apple store online.

Every Apple store will be a madhouse for the first few weeks. A madhouse I'd rather avoid.

8. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Most likely Cingular. I can't see there being as big a line as at the Apple Store. Plus, it is much closer.

9. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Local Apple store. I dig the stores and I dig the buzz that permeates big crowds excited about something.

10. mterlouw macrumors member

I'll buy it from Apple if they give the edu discount.

11. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

Now that's a good question!

12. BayAreaMacFan macrumors member

I would go the Apple Store as I love going to them, but I have a Cingular store about a half mile from my house (not really an issue as the AS is only 20 minutes away), no one goes to Cingular stores, and IMO it's is going to be incredibly hard to get and I think I'd have a better chance at Cingular than Apple.

13. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

most likely ordered online or over the phone with rogers when it comes to canada

14. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I will buy it from Verizon, once they figure out that EVDO is the way to go. Using the EDGE network will literally push you over the edge. No pun intended....hmmm, on second thought, yes, it was intended. ;-)

~e

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'll go to an apple store in person to check it out, but i'll likely buy online. that is, if i even decide to buy.

16. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

You are probably right, however I don't know if the iPhone will ever be released on Verizon. Cingular is letting Apple get away with virtually no carrier customization required on the device, however Verizon would not. Remember Apple approached Verizon and Verizon declined.

Verizon and Sprint will require custom ringtones, custom UI, different types of visual indicators and special applications pre-loaded on the device, which Apple would never do, due to extreme pride and haughtiness --> wanting to control every single pixel on the device. Only Cingular was "no questions asked".

My hunch is that Apple will produce a VOIP-only device that will be "carrier-free", and have just Wi-fi or Wi-fi + EVDO data only.

17. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I totally agree about the VoIP. I'm sure it's just a matter of time, when they incorporate that functionality into the iPhone. Most likely in the 2nd Gen version. However, if the iPhone proves to be this powerhouse, genre changing product, you might see Verizon or Sprint change their tune over time. In the end it's about how much money can I make and if they see a big profit, I'm sure they will rethink the iPhone. To be honest, the only benefit from Verizon is the EVDO. Most people just want those data transfer speeds. Who knows what the future holds. It's going to be interesting to say the least.

~e

18. neven macrumors 6502a

Apple Store in Portland as well. If the one you're thinking of is at Pioneer Place, there's an AT&T/Cingular store two floors up. One of those should have it :)

19. fastdrive macrumors member

Going to have to buy from the Cingular store as I have to get a family plan and get another phone for my wife. On month to month right now with Verizon.

I wish could just buy her a phone now/sign a contract and when the Iphone comes out get it from Apple online add it into the account and upgrade to a family plan.

20. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

MR marketplace...I am sure there will be plenty of early adopters who won't be satisfied. :eek:

In any case, I won't be getting one until Sprint offers it.

21. MacCurry macrumors 6502

Apple's deal with AT&T aka Cingular stinks. I want an unlocked phone so that I can choose the GSM carrier that I want, and I'll get the iPhone in Asia or the UK. I don't trust AT&T to not stick some bizzare firmware changes to the iPhone and ruin it like they did to the Palm Treo 650 when it came out a couple of years back.

22. Jmi macrumors newbie

I don't now where to buy my iphone, Does someone know if the iphone would be able to use with any company that support GSM technology? I asked this because i live in central america.. And I don't know what to do :mad:

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It'll be available when Apple make it available worldwide, I think it'll probably get 3G for the European release.

24. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

The first place and way I can. Definitely through apple though.

25. island macrumors 6502

island

I have a buddy @ a Cingular store so he's going to hold one for me when they come in. :D