Where would 100GB go if they're considered "Backdup"???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gaslightanthem, May 22, 2013.

1. gaslightanthem macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Macbook Pro and transfered all my files onto it from my old Macbook. When I added my music to iTunes, it made copies of all my music files and created three folders with duplicates of every single audio file. This led me to have 100GB of duplicated audio. When I deleted it, none of it went to the trash and now I have 100GB of "Backups", but I can't find where these files would be do now delete. My trash is empty and there's no more duplicated files anywhere.

Where on Earth would this be? :confused::confused::confused:

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Firstly, it's worth mentioning that the info in the "Storage" tab of "About this Mac" is not necessarily very accurate.

Secondly, do you use Time Machine? If you don't have your TM external drive connected, then OS X makes "local backups" onto your hard drive. These are copies of files that are then transferred to the backup drive the next time it is connected.
    If you run out of disk space, the local backups will automatically be overwritten, so you don't need to worry about the space they take up.

A quick Google for "os x local backups" will give you more info. There are ways of disabling them, if you want to.

As ever, it's worth pointing out that files without backups on a different physical device are at risk of being lost.