Where'd my space go?

keyz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I just did an archive and install from Tiger to Leopard. Before the upgrade, I had 55.1 GB available, and now it's saying that I only have 41.48 GB available. I'm just wondering where 15 GB of space went. I didn't think Leopard was that huge?!

I have a question though... the archive folder... how much space does that take up? Is my archive what is so big?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I have a question though... the archive folder... how much space does that take up? Is my archive what is so big?
Ummm yeah. :D It's an archive of your old system, so, it's still going to take up as much space as it did before + the new Leopard install.

Comment

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
When you do an archive & install... it takes your current OS build (say, Tiger) and shoves it into its own folder (called "archive", appropriately enough). It then installs the new OS (say, Leopard) onto the drive. So... anything you had in Tiger (the OS, all add-on components (Apple software), and all 3rd party app components) go into that archive folder - so however big your OS area was... is how big that archive folder is going to be. Then install Leo on top of that... (which is ~11GB, I believe)... and there ya go.

Comment

keyz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Right on. Makes perfect sense.

My next question is then when can I delete this folder? It kept all my data and settings together when it rebooted. Do I need to keep the archive folder still?

Comment

Nick12945

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Michigan

My next question is then when can I delete this folder? It kept all my data and settings together when it rebooted. Do I need to keep the archive folder still?
If everything is working correctly then it's ok to delete the folder.

Comment

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA

I believe it is called Previous System. It has a lot of files in it, so took me over 15 minutes for all of them do be deleted.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.