Wheres a good place to start? Code or Interface Builder?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by JosephDuffy, Jul 24, 2009.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    The summer hols are here!
    So I thought I'd try a learn iPhone coding again.
    I want to make a simple app, it will have a list to start with, and a navigation bar at the bottom, with 3-5 veiws attached to them ( one each, of course ).
    But where's the best place to make this, the main part of the app will consist of a long list ( nearly 500 long ), with a search if you scroll up, rather like on the mail app. These will be in a specific order, not alphabetical, but a pre-given hidden number, generated by me. I thought, the majority would just be typing it all up, each page off the list would be set out the same, just different info, and a different picture, with the option to switch between multiple descriptions ETC. My question ( after that rather long paragraph ), is;
    Can I write up some sort of file, or a database, that I can type in some info on each, such as Name, Number, Description, Picture, all having multiple attributes given for say no.1 and no.3, so sort of:
    /BeginInfo1
    Name1:Name
    Name2:Name
    Picture1:{Location} ( how??? )
    Picture2:{Location } ( again, how??? )
    ETC
    /EndInfo1
    The switch between Name1 and Name2 will also change Picture1 and Picture2 ETC, through some sort of multiple choice list.
    So, basicly, can I start to type a this info up, then learn the programming at my own pace, getting both done at the same time?
    My best bet I would have thought would be some sort of iPhone Database, that I can just add to, and it will automaticly add it to my list.
    Sorry for the long post, if you managed to get this far through it!
    Joseph Duffy
    P.s If anyone 'happens' to have some sort of 'base code', project, or would like to help on my developing road, email JosephDuffy[at]me[dot]com, or of-course post back, much appreciated!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's not a good idea, trust me ;).

Maybe take a look at Core Data.

3. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but it's kinda part of the whole thing, can I put a hidden value or something in there?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can easily do it, but its often a clunky way to do things that often causes more problems that its worth down the line as you have to create the hidden value for each new piece of data you add.

You should definitely consider whether alphabetic sorting would be "good enough" for what you want to do.

5. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

I do apologise, I'll sound really rude, I don't want to give away my idea, I'm very private :cool:, Sorry.
    Thanks for the advise, and since Core Data is new, should I get a new 3.0 book?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No worries, I'm not saying how I have my information either ;).