Where's all the native iPad apps?!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by chiefpavvy, Mar 31, 2011.

1. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

And I'm disappointed in how FEW native iPad apps exist! You'd think with 65,000 supposedly iPad-only apps there would be more, especially in popular categories. I was alarmed that even the most popular stuff like Skype and Facebook are not native iPad apps - 2x mode sucks horribly, looks terrible and I can't stand the portrait orientation. I do everything in landscape.

So I've done a lot of digging and searching, found Friendly for Facebook, but I'm looking for a native iPad podcast client. That is, something like InstaCast for iPhone (which I love BTW), but a native iPad version. Supposedly Podcaster has one 'in the works' but I'm wondering if there's something out there already that works well. Any ideas?

I guess I was really shocked with like 150 'Universal' apps only a VERY small number of those are native on iPad. I ended up deleting a lot of apps...

2. Fiona01 macrumors newbie

IPAD application development and be among the list of paying "work." But it s not for everyone, so anything anyway. You must ensure you have the resources you need to have a IPAD developing applications that is more competitive than others. This is the reason I find that Hong Kong developers IPAD are known in the proper development of evolving applications than any other developer. However, it also can break the monotony and be one of the very significant market influencers with IPAD application development that suits the needs of the customer and business needs.

Others

3. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Yh I only exclusively buy universal apps now.

It must take some developers awhile to make them for ipad. tapbots for example, their new twitter app is for iphone and they said an ipad version would have taken another 6 months development time. A lot of developers will make an app for the ipad only if there iphone app is popular enough. I think they should make them universal to begin with.

As for skype, well don't hold your breath. Took them months to release and update for the iphone 4.

4. smugDrew macrumors member

Apparently Instacast is coming to iPad. Be patient?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One thing to keep in mind, will a developer right a program that will cater to a couple thousand iPad 2 owners or write an app that will be open to the millions of iPad owners?

I think for the most part unless an app can fully take advantage of a dual processor or the GPU *cough* games, you'll not see an iPad 2 specific app.

6. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Based on how well the iPad 2 has sold, I'd be willing to be that this isn't the case by the end of 2011. It makes you realize even more just how much catching up other platforms (which aren't selling so well in the tablet market) have to catch up.

7. mkitchen macrumors member

Right, think about out. There are roughly what, 150-200 million iphone/touches in use right now? Maybe a lot more. And there are about 15-20 million iPads in use right now. If you had to make an app where you were only making $0.70-$3.50 a pop right now, which one would you target? In fact, I think it's great that we have as many nice iPad specific apps right now as we do, it will grow, give it time.

(I understand those numbers are rough estimates, but trying to make the point)

8. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Most developers are not targeting iPad2. They are targeting iOS. The new hardware for iPad2 offers advantages but many end users are very happy with the user experience on the original iPad. Apple is responsible for the hardware and iOS. Developers are responsible for the apps that are designed to take full advantage of iPad2 hardware. The hardware is new. Developers need time to write software that matches the ability of hardware. Let's be thankful that we don't have to wait for the hardware to catch up with the software.