Where's all the pretty core animation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by speakerwizard, Jan 13, 2008.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Delicious Library 2 is going to be beautiful it seems from the preview...

3. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

4. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

It's annoying really, just like Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Core Animation opens up a lot of possibilities to create cool looking and animated user interfaces without having to learn the more complicated Direct3D or OpenGL API's. Having programmed with all four technologies, I'm surprised more developers aren't rushing out to use the new easier systems.

I can understand their reasons though. If you've already got a fully working, established interface for your program that you spent a lot of time on, why learn a whole new system from scratch and create a brand new interface just for the sake of using a new technology? Especially, for example, if only users of Leopard will be able to experience it.

I think that's one of the reasons why, on Windows and Leopard, there seems to be a lack of fully fledged programs that make use of WPF and Core Animation. Most of the time all I've really managed to find are developer examples. Even when you look at the video preview for the upcoming version of Yahoo! Messenger written in WPF and exclusively for Vista, it's not exactly mindblowing. Sure, it looks well designed but there doesn't seem to be any use of animations or graphical effects.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/windowsvista.php
    http://messenger.yahoo.com/vista_popup.php

At the moment both technologies seem to be underutilised. However, WPF did come out a lot earlier than Core Animation and Mac developers do tend to care more about their applications' interfaces. So hopefully they'll be some cool stuff on the horizon.

Of course if you're REALLY desperate for Core Animation goodness, you could join the rest of us and install Xcode, learn Objective-C and start reading the Apple documentation on Core Animation ... :D

5. dreamsentence macrumors newbie

I think Bento uses it

I think Bento, which I'm currently trying out, uses core animation, notably when changing themes. I am a total sucker for eye candy and it looks really nice.

6. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Bento is an Apple app, in a way. Apple owns FileMaker, and FileMaker makes Bento. So, it's not a surprise.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I think Core Animation now is more about a "decoration" than a "useful function". If its readily available, fine, if its not, doesn't hurt anything neither.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

In order to program CoreAnimation, you will need Leopard, and not many people have made the switch yet.

Also, programming with a technology available in Leopard will make that particular application unavailable to systems prior to 10.5. That is a big reason enough to not adopt the latest of technologies yet.