Where's cheapest to buy in UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Droooooj, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Droooooj macrumors regular

Where would I find the cheapest white Macbook from an authorised reseller?

Either the new model released a couple of weeks ago, or the model which preceded it (2.13ghz/2GB/160GB).

Online I've tried Amazon, MacWarehouse and Dabs, but with the postal strikes currently in the UK I'm thinking more of going into a real shop than using an online vendor, but ultimately price dictates.

2. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Someone I know is traveling to London in a couple weeks and was saying she should buy a new Apple laptop here and then sell it there to make a little
    money and give the UK person a better deal?

Are there any problems with warranties etc to make this impractical?

3. fraserdrew macrumors member

Cheapest - If you're a student, Apple store online wins hands down - up to 15% discount
    Next Cheapest - I've always found that John Lewis is cheapest - they match prices anywhere on the high street. New apple stuff is rarely reduced, but with John Lewis you get the benefit of a 2 year warranty rather than the standard apple 1-year warranty, which is worth a bit.
    If you want the just-out model there may be some through Apple refurbished, however these will be refurbished, so there is a clear reason for them being cheaper!

4. Droooooj thread starter macrumors regular

Dunno about warranties, but I think if UK customs see your friend waltzing through customs with brand new boxed electronics, they're likely to be charged some sort of import duty.

@fraserdrew - not a student. My friend is though. What impracticalities might I later face if I was to get her to buy it?

5. Puqq macrumors regular

If you are a student, go for Apple store online. Not only you get 15% discount, but Apple Care is just 46 pounds. For the 2.26 MBP, it makes 800 pounds total, rather than 1050 or more.

If you are not a student, then find one- these are not rare species these days :)

If you can't, go for the USA choice.... As far as I know, Apple Care is valid all around the world, no matter where you bought yours. It is one of the good things about Mac- their service is really nice.

6. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Have a look at Jigsaw

Jigsaw in Nottingham are reliable, I have used them for over 10 years without problems and their prices are generally less than Apple. In addition, they often have the last generation of machine very cheaply following the release of the latest and greatest.

Much, much better advice than I have got at several Apple Stores from the sales assistants and on the phone you don't need an appointment!!

www.jigsaw24.com

HTH

7. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

There was a previous generation 2.13 on the refurb store this morning for £579,

the 2.26 MBP go for £749 on the same store.

8. Droooooj thread starter macrumors regular

Missed that one PeckhamBog. :-/

John Lewis seems to be the cheapest so far, give or take £5, but for the extra years warranty it seems worth it.

Got excited when I found these guys were giving £100 off new models if you part-ex an old banger, but reading the T&Cs standard MacBooks aren't included, only Pros and Airs. :-/ Great offer though:
    http://www.cancomuk.com/Events/Recycle-and-Save!

9. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Misco

Misco always seem to do good deals. They have a really good deal on at the mo for the 13" Macbook Pro, think you save over £100. Very good in my opinion.

AnDy

10. Droooooj thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Andy, tho I'm specifically looking for a standard Macbook - Misco are actually £3 dearer than the Apple Store on the new one. :D

11. monty77 macrumors 6502a

Know anyone flying soon? Dixons tax free have a few on the shelves with 15% discount compared to high street.

Wouldn't buy a US model myself, keyboard is different.

HTH
    M