Where's Copy and Paste on iPhone 3G??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bj3949, Jul 2, 2008.

1. bj3949 macrumors 6502

Why in the world has Apple not found a way to include Copy and Paste in their latest iPhone 2.0 software? If Treo and Blackberry users are able to Copy and Paste, why not iPhone users? Is it really that much of a challenge to figure out a way? I'd say this goes down as my biggest disappointment with the new iPhone 3G and it's new software. No Flash support comes in second, then no video recording comes in third, followed by no front-sided camera in fourth.

What do you think?

2. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Apple thinks it's outdated technology.

Just kidding, obvs. I have no idea, and this has been discussed in countless threads. The most logical explanations seem to be that Apple can't figure out a simple way to implement it, or that Steve Jobs hates copy/paste and refuses to have it on his phone. :rolleyes: I don't think Apple is blind enough to "forget" to put it in... so I would hope there is a good explanation for this.

My disappointments would be:
    No copy/paste
    No MMS
    No SMS character/message counter (how hard is this?!)
    Limited bluetooth

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

im thinking Im sick of seeing this!!
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

That is the only place you are going to get people to listen that can actually do something about it! You might try emailing Jobs too... :rolleyes:

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

6. firewood macrumors 604

Apple often leaves out a few key features that everybody else requires or uses. This forces developer to rewrite their software for the new API or UI or whatever. This makes sure very little old crufty software can get ported and make Apple's new product look old or bad. It also locks in the new software to Apple methodology. They've done this with cursor keys, serial ports, floppy disks, OS 9 booting, and a whole bunch of other absolutely "necessary" features. Some (cursor keys) they add back many years later; others (floppy disks) very few people miss after a half decade.

Either drink Steve's kool-aid, or wait for android and hope for free beer.

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

Thank you!! Why do there have to be so many threads about the same darn copy/paste complaint like it is some surprise. If it is such a deal breaker, don't get the phone. Otherwise, tell Apple about it because we all know about it.

8. cwheatley macrumors member

i guess i just don't understand why it is so vital... :confused:

9. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

The main thing I'd use cut and paste for is to take information from email and put it into Notes. To me Notes is probably one of the most wasted features on the iPhone because you have to type everything in yourself. If there was a way to take an email though and save it as a Note, it would be much more usable IMO. But I guess Steve Jobs just doesn't see it that way.

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I would rather see data detectors like desktop Mail.app in Mail and Safari on the iPhone than copy and paste.

11. insocal macrumors regular

This is really the only 'missing' feature that is keeping me from running out at 8am next Friday and buying the new version.
    Don't get me wrong, I love this iPhone more than any other gadget out there but I really think having Copy/Paste would make it perfect for me...just my opinion.
    And I've been hearing that The App Store won't allow it even if someone designs the feature because Apple won't allow things to run in the background.
    Not saying it will DEFINITELY keep me from getting it but it is quite disappointing.

12. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

For me, I would just like the ability to select/highlight a body of text, and be able to delete it. Writing an email to someone, then realizing the last paragraph is no longer relevant, and having to delete words one at a time is super annoying.

13. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

its more like where is copy and paste in the iphone 2.0 software. It has nothing to do with hardware it is the way of implementing it. If apple were to implement it poorly im sure somebody would be on here complaining about how its hard to use or should work better.

14. doug0365 macrumors member

Copy & Paste makes a world of difference for me when it comes to sharing information I receive or find while browsing, text messages, emails

for example..

Lets say I'm browsing the Web and find something short and interesting that I want to quickly share with someone. I can easily copy and paste that information to a text message instead of emailing just the link to the page since not all my friends have email or web capabilities on there phone.

Lets say your found and address on a web page that you would like to add your notes you can easily copy & paste instead of having to try to remember or writing it down first on a piece of paper and then typing it back up on to your iphone..

I still can't belive that the Iphone 2.0 sdk witch is based on the desktop osx version. According to what I saw in the 2008 conference posted on apple can't implement a feature that its the most used feature on any platform.

The only other features I would like is the ability to Save pictures while browsing on safari witch it looks like a possibilty since now you can save pictures from your emails by pressing on the pic and then having the option to save to your gallery and I also would like the ability to Foward Text messages

But like i said I would rather get copy & paste first out of all the features that iphone is missing

15. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I think this might be possible. I seen it on the new feature walk through on the apple site.

16. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I just sent in my request for copy/paste (along with a few other very simple, basic functions like single SMS deletion and bluetooth contact transferring).

Please -- all of you who want copy/paste, make your voices be heard!

17. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I would use copy paste to carry over text from email to safari or the other way around. If I get a tracking number in email, I would like to copy paste it onto FedEx's website vs. remembering parts of it and flipping back and forth. Or if Apple launches an app for iWork that gives you edit capabilities, it would come in handy.

EDIT: +1 on the feedback to Apple. Hope to see new and exciting features in the next update beyond 2.0.

18. Terry W macrumors member

Ditto!

Just posted the following on the link above for iPhone suggestions:

Can't agree more that the fact that a Blackberry can copy/paste and the iPhone can't is absurd. What I think is also missing on the iPhone keyboard is an up/down/right/left arrows to more easily navigate through text you are typing (Blackberry makes it easy to do by using scroll wheel or button). If that were available, copy/paste implementation would become much easier. My suggestion would be when you hold down your finger at a point in the text, instead of a magnifying glass popping up, the cursor would move to where you were holding down and the keyboard area would change to a smaller size and reveal nine buttons: shift, copy, cut, paste (grey'd if nothing has been previously copied/cut), up/down/right/left arrows, and an exit button to get back to the regular keyboard. You could then more precisely position the cursor using the arrows. To copy/cut text you either use your finger to highlight (like you currently do to move the cursor) or use the shift button and hit the arrows to highlight, much like you do on a regular keyboard.

Thoughts?

19. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

They would never have you use keys to highlight.
    They will implement it via a fingerswipe once they figure out how.
    I think if you hold your finger down, and then tap somewhere with your second finger, it could highlight the text in between, then you tap the highlighted text for Cut/Copy

the reason it's not available is b/c apple can't figure out an appleish super simple way to do it.

20. Galawyn macrumors newbie

think about the correct text mode... with a magnifying glass, to search the exact position.

and now, think about the multi touch. a finger pressed for activating the selection mode... and the other for selecting the text... on finger release a popup for copy/paste etc etc.

i don't think that's an impossible scenario for the iphone software/hardware engineer.

mms or front video camera, need some changes at the project... but copy and paste?

21. mike21mike21 macrumors newbie

Copy/Paste needed for goofy MMS workaround!

OK, bad enough that we have to go back to our crappy-assed Treo's just to send a MMS. Embarassing enough to be sure, but OK, you can send an EM with your pix to the mobile user like xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net.

Great, now try and receive a MMS. You get a text from ATT telling you that you have received a MMS which you can retrieve from their website with this username and password - each with a 6-7 character random string. Now try and remember and enter these characters WITHOUT COPY/PASTE !!!!

BOTTOM LINE: MMS does works for the iphone - just be sure and carry a pencil and paper....

Jesus, just fix this. MMS and Copy/Paste. Lets try and be competitive with the RaZR or Treo crowd for a change.

22. HeavenDivine macrumors member

it would be simple just to hold your finger down over text, it would then bring up a small box at the bottom with copy or paste buttons, it then lets you sellect and highlight, then tap the copy.