Where's My 256GB iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DRCain, Nov 10, 2016.

1. DRCain macrumors newbie

DRCain

I'm awaiting an update to the iPod Touch lineup. My wish list is short:
    256GB option
    Camera Upgrade
    A10 chip

2. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Hmm, for me, my criteria for a "worthy iPod Touch" includes (but not limited to):
    4.7"+ screen
    On my 5.5" LG G4 phone, I have to do some fancy "gymnastics" to be able to do certain things due to the phone's size. However, having a larger screen is still a worthy tradeoff!

.... that's actually all I really care about. I'm assuming they'll add more RAM, and won't literally reuse the same processor as with the IpT6

3. Nurse Michael macrumors newbie

Nurse Michael

I don't expect a camera or A10 upgrade this year, but after 485 days Apple should at least offer a storage bump (and fix the battery drain with WiFi on).

4. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

I'm reasonably sure it was hidden inside an iPhone.

(I lived on iPod touches since their release in 2007 – I finally switched to an iPhone 5s with no cellular contract last year after I had this realization.)

5. grad macrumors regular

An iPod Touch with High Res audio and an iPod Shuffle with Bluetooth and larger capacity are sorely missing from Apple's product list.

6. drivenbymadness macrumors newbie

...and good battery life atleast 1.5-2 times longer (if not more) that of the IPT6.

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I Pods are dead, use your phone!!

8. mrbobdobolina macrumors newbie

mrbobdobolina

I love my iPod Touch. I bought it a year or two ago to take the stress off my phone battery. All Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts live in on the iPod and I have a lot less fear taking it on a run with me.

I will say that I'm torn about the screensize. I currently use my iPod for games and video, (again, to keep my phone for communication only.) And a larger screen would be Nice!™ but I like the small form factor. (My phone is an SE.) I notice the iPod is a little slow at times. Hopefully they keep bumping the processor and memory as apps continue to get larger.

I've thought about getting an old 6 or 6plus to try out as an iPod replacement. Just use it in Airplane mode with no SIM installed.

9. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Same here, although my IpT5 is still going even after 3.5 years. When the battery dies, or gets to a point where it's very unusable, I'll consider the Iph6 or Iph6+. By then, there should also be another price reduction.

10. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The iPhone SE seems poised to replace the iPod touch altogether. Literally, all they have to do is update the processor/cameras, up the capacities and drop the full device price by $100 and it's done. And as much as I love the iPod touch (and, for the record, I am a huge iPod touch fanboy), this makes too much sense for Apple NOT to do.

11. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Although this continues to make sense, we've been down this road before, where shockingly, we ended up with another iPod Touch. Is there anything else to say that it couldn't be true again? [shrug]

12. tiger2, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017

tiger2 macrumors member

Well, which ever comes out first, a 256gb SE or iPod Touch, I'll buy it.

I've also thought about a used iPhone 6 but you hear so many reports of people buying one off eBay or Craigslist and the battery is bad or some other issue.

13. Accumulated Wealth macrumors newbie

My iPod Touch is a good few years old now and I was hoping for an update last year. My device is used daily for my commute, weekend walks and a little bit at work and I love it. A bump in memory would definitely be welcome. The battery is great on the one I have, but any improvements would be welcome also. Not so fussed about the camera as I use my smartphone.

14. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Might get lucky. If the tablet/laptop travel ban holds, could we see a 5"-ish iPt to cater for the kindle crowd, who absolutely refuse to buy a smartphone?

15. rcfbz10 macrumors newbie

I'd buy a 256GB version in a heartbeat. That gives me enough space to store all my audio recordings in Apple Lossless format, with about 20% room for growth.

But after today's unveiling of the iPhone X, another year passes with no storage expansion in sight. I suspect (strongly) that Apple doesn't WANT us to store large collections of our own music on these devices. Every time I go into an Apple store asking about a possible iPod touch makeover, they keep pushing their streaming service. Look, Tim... some of us just don't want to be tied to another service fee to play <compressed> music we already own....

16. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Is it even worth asking them about changes to future products? It's not like they have any choice in what gets released later on.

I drive through a desert every now and then. Signal seems fine, but even then, I'd rather not waste battery and time streaming stuff that's local. I STILL use an 80 GB iPod Classic. The having a tactile scroll wheel is tops.

17. rcfbz10, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

rcfbz10 macrumors newbie

Ha! I am still using mine, too! You really can't beat the classic scroll wheel...

18. whiteangelcl macrumors newbie

256GB would be great~~How long will I need to wait for it...

19. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

If they iPhone 7ified the iPod touch I’d definitely be on board - better camera with the integrated camera bump, a10 chip, Touch ID (I guess they couldn’t fit a Taptic Engine in though so no virtual click home button), and drop the polish from the chamfers like the SE and iPad 5th gen. And of course an exclusive 256gb Jet Black colour option :D

20. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

I second this but drop the iPhone boring colour schemes and keep the iPod colour schemes, but also make an "iPod Touch + Cellular" option and name it the iPhone SE 2

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I love iPods, and my new iPod Touch.

And, when I do finally invest in an iPhone, it will be the SE.

However, I must say that I am quite taken with your ides of an old iPhone (minus SIM) for use as an iPod replacement - that had never occurred to me, and makes a lot of sense. Great idea.