Where's my bash shell?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KD7IWP, May 6, 2008.

1. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

The other day I was attempting to install Trac using MacPorts on my MBP. Well, ever since I restarted the machine I now have no terminal.app. I can open it, but only get a flashing cursor, no "welcome to Darwin" message, no bash shell, nothing. I phoned an Apple rep and she said to do an Archive and Install. I can do that but would have to drive to my parents' place to pick up the disc. Anyone have an idea of what I can do instead?

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Look in your Home folder -> Library -> Preferences, and delete the file:

com.apple.terminal.plist

Maybe you already did that and I am not sure it will really help. Worth giving a try before reinstalling.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

4. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I get a similar problem, when opening the terminal I (out of the blue) get the following...

Last login: Tue May 6 17:06:58 on ttyp1

That's it, no shell I can access or break out of (ctrl-c). OSX is really starting to act as ****** as windows after a few months, disappointing.

5. KD7IWP thread starter macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Thanks, I will Archive and Install tonight and try this out. It seems I have NEVER had luck with any package manager since they don't seem to interact with the libraries that are already shipped with OSX and I run into numerous issues. I tried approximately 10 Mac Trac installation tutorials and none have worked. But I'll happily try this one.